Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:34:23 17:34

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Why download links are made hidden these days?  (Read 9753 times)
Poweroff
Inactive

Thank You
-Given: 3
-Receive: 9

« on: April 02, 2013, 01:59:57 13:59 »

Hello all,

I am visiting sonsivri forum for a pretty long time. Though I have posted only one thread (just found it and posted as it was). Reason is, I don't have the expertize/knowledge to 'modify/improve' software.

Earlier, I saw links were visible to all, whether member or not. But, now I am seeing that, it is suggested/encouraged to upload link as a text file. So that only members can see it.

It is not possible to be a member without invitation. And not every user can get an invitation. So, they will not see the link. This forum is for sharing, better caring. So, why this type of decision was made recently, which restricts the normal users from downloading what they want?

Thanks to all.
solutions

Thank You
-Given: 656
-Receive: 903

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 09:12:37 21:12 »

The forum is about sharing knowledge, not taking or having information for yourself only. As I've said elsewhere, even a request for a paper is not for the requester but for EVERYONE.

It's bad enough people download here, that ARE members, without thanking the people (with a simple button push) who took the trouble to get them the material. Nonmembers can only take, and most of those mirror on their own sites and make money off what's here. So burying Sonsivri links that are not brought in from elsewhere is very appropriate, IMO.

And you don't need to "modify/improve" software to contribute to the other members here.

If a member can't contribute anything, how did they get in? Did they just get themselves in here to pick off some of the material here? They should be a VIP, keeping the lights on with a contribution, if they can't contribute any other way.

You have actually contributed something, so keep doing it.

Those that haven't need to start.

If you're here to only take, I'd suggest the mods punt you to the curb and you come in via VIP.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 09:15:11 21:15 by solutions » Logged
Parmin

Thank You
-Given: 494
-Receive: 133

Very Wise (and grouchy) Old Man

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 10:46:33 22:46 »

@poweroff
For someone who has been a member of over 6 months, your first post is to criticize the way we are sharing.
I have not seen any of your share.

If I have said something that offends you, please let me know, so I can say it again later.
Hrdwr_Adct

Thank You
-Given: 334
-Receive: 139

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 11:21:16 23:21 »

oh I hate these buttons(accidentally hit the TY button)

Poweroff the reason the links are hidden is because it is a privilege to be a member here.

You don't have to be an expert.  I've learned a lot just from reading questions/answers that others have posted on topics I might be interested in as well.

We don't need all the warz links posted from(that other site) as a few peeps seem to be doing here lately(I agree with Solutions).  Yes, we know the files are there and if we want a copy we'll go over there to get them.

So if you have a pet project or a question then post it and watch everyone do cartwheels trying to improve your design.   Cry

I am very selective as to whom I sponsor membership to.  I usually send them a private msg explaining that now that they're "on the inside" and that they better behave and follow the rules.  Because if they don't they will find themselves dealing with Pickit and a few others and you really don't want that as they are known for having a short fuse.   Grin

"For the earth is only an atom in the universe of worlds." - Edgar Cayce
optikon
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 1092
-Receive: 2001

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 11:38:08 23:38 »

Poweroff, most of the software shared is at best questionable. Keeping it hidden and available to members draws less attention. I'm all about sharing but I'm also all about keeping the machine working and around for a long time. As for knowledge, opinions and freeware... by all means share away openly! As stated above, all free lunches cost $10.00

« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 08:14:10 20:14 by optikon » Logged

I can explain this to you. I can't comprehend it for you.
pickit2

Thank You
-Given: 826
-Receive: 4207

There is no evidence that I muted SoNsIvRi

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 11:48:11 23:48 »

I usually send them a private msg explaining that now that they're "on the inside" and that they better behave and follow the rules.  Because if they don't they will find themselves dealing with Pickit and a few others and you really don't want that as they are known for having a short fuse.   Grin
Hey I muted short-fuse, before his account was removed. Tongue

the reason behind having hidden links was some links ware only lasting a few hours.
since then some boards are now hidden, so hidden links in these boards are not needed, but don't hurt to have them in a text file. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:54:29 23:54 by pickit2 » Logged

Note: I stoped Muteing bad members OK I now put thier account in sleep mode
Poweroff
Inactive

Thank You
-Given: 3
-Receive: 9

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 12:41:24 00:41 »

@Parmin, it was my 2nd post. Don't know how did you search.

@optikon, yes that's true. Admins need money to run the site. And, I think this is main the reason for hiding links. New visitor, unable to manage invitation would have to spend some to get the links. Sure it's believable that 'Don Vito Corleone' needs more money, but not believable that he is much afraid of the cyber police Smiley.

Best of luck.
pickit2

Thank You

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 01:11:39 01:11 »

@optikon, yes that's true. Admins need money to run the site. And, I think this is main the reason for hiding links. New visitor, unable to manage invitation would have to spend some to get the links. Sure it's believable that 'Don Vito Corleone' needs more money, but not believable that he is much afraid of the cyber police Smiley.

Best of luck.
All Members see links, there is no need for payment, but Sonsivri is happy when being helped by members to pay site costs.

All we ask is you take part in forum, only users that have VIP status are exempt from having to post to keep account open, Other users having a low post count, can get their account deleted.

metal
Global Moderator

Thank You
-Given: 862
-Receive: 678

Top Topic Starter

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 07:41:40 07:41 »

poweroff, some moderators/friends say that I should count to 10 before I post, actually I counted to 50 today.

Money was not the reason behind hiding links off the public, it was because:
- Forum is in danger, I will not reveal actual details.
- Links are constantly reported when in public and most links were deleted in few hours.

TBH, it was my decision to force hiding links inside text files, then danger increased and we had to hide some sections completely off the public.

Sonsivri was not happy about that decision because he told me that people will accuse us sooner or later that we are trying to force people to pay to become members. More to it, not all members who pay are invited, you can ask sonsivri in person (send a PM) on how many donations he has refunded till this exact moment, sonsivri also refunds members who donated and got banned, how could you say we are after money in some way or another! In the past we did not receive donations and things were not difficult, with donations we could use dedicated servers, that's all: better/faster/more stable service, higher quality of members and less headache for all of us as well.

I am a member of some other forums, and I am active and need not to donate, nevertheless I donated because I wanted some forums to stay alive, what's wrong with that? Don't come and say that you are poor, $10 is nothing compared to what you earn whether you are a student or an employee.. go to BK or MAC and you 'll pay more than that to fill your stomach..

END
solutions

Thank You
-Given: 656
-Receive: 903

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 12:50:47 12:50 »

Poweroff, most of the software shared is illegal.

I respectfully disagree.

Sharing of knowledge, learning how to use tools, being proficient in their use through HOBBY use is actually marketing the product for companies. You go to work, you know a tool inside out, you put in a PO to buy it from the company for your commercial or academic venture.

I think the mods and members have been pretty strict about non-commercial use of materials here. I know of people who got muted or not invited because their intent was to PIRATE software. As soon as you make money off of downloaded materials, you are at that point STEALING the revenue from the material originator, versus paying them for it - in other words, their money goes in your pocket as your profit. That is stealing.

Some guy building a battery charger or trying stuff out (like a CD sled based accelerometer) as a hobby is learning techniques, without a chance in heck of making money on it, or wanting to, is not stealing anything, but learning is how to do something, or how to use a tool.

It's really up to individuals to police themselves as far as what's illegal or illegal - the mods and members have no idea of what a member's true intentions are. I only gave my own opinion of what is or isn't - I'm not a lawyer. That said, if you are in a company, are selling your designs or your services, or are in a school, you should not be using materials or people here to advance your own profits and you should be buying the material, or using the academic version your school can get.

So no - hiding the links is not being fugitives from the law as an intent, IMO. I think "keeping the links alive" is a good reason, but a better one is keeping material away from warez sites, who have no moral convictions whatsoever about thieves grabbing material and their members or visitors using it for profit. And, yes, there is a reward of y9ou sharing your knowledge material - you get back knowledge and material...even if its a request for a paper, I've had 'wow, I didn't know you could do that", or "that's an interesting thing to know or try out"

As long as I have been here, Sonsivri has been about sharing knowledge, not stealing money from s/w or information providers - contrary to the belief of some, it's NOT A WAREZ SITE. If anything, we are a promotional channel for marketing, tools especially- even a laptop. If warez does get posted, the poster usually is a misinformed noob and usually gets chastised for it.

I don't speak for Sonsivri...this is my own opinion and observation as an active member who doesn't want to see this jewel trashed.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 12:56:56 12:56 by solutions » Logged
Bobbla

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 16

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 12:45:59 00:45 »

If you have nothing better to do... read on  Cheesy

I guess I can rant a little as well. I understand what you mean when you ask why are somethings hidden? When a motto is something like "information is free" why hide it?

Well, it just so happens that things a looking a little grayish, even blackish about what is going on here. A lot of things are being shared, some might argue that its illegal or illegal... some may have another point of view. My view is that even though one might try to do a "good" thing and sonsivri is about non profit/non commercial activity(as I understand it), there are no guarantees for it. So what to do?

Its a known fact that some interest organizations and businesses frown upon sharing/piracy, that being said downloading a "unauthorized" copy of some product is not necessarily loss of money/revenue for the producers of said product. A person may not afford a 10.000$ piece of software that is required for some non commercial hobby project, meaning the choice is between downloading the software or not doing the project. It can also be argued that if the 10.000$ piece of software had a non commercial license for a far less amount of money it would be reasonable to buy said software.

But what to do about the bastards who are breaking the "sonsivri code of ethics"? BAN BAN BAN  Tongue

But why the hide stuff? Its is done to discourage people who are seeking software/ebooks only(aka leechers). Why? Because while sharing is pretty effortless, doing it without putting your own ass on the line is not so effortless. The way its mostly done now is via a third party file hosting site. They will delete your shit(at least your link to it) if they gets a complaint or some set of rules they've made is broken(password protected files, nr. of downloads, etc.). This in turn means that the uploads have to be maintained more or less proportionally with the popularity which is quite high around here, and who wants that(the maintenance job that is)?

But why all the embedded text-password stuff? The way I understand it, its a mix of "its already implemented, why bother change?" and to in a way see who are downloading what.

It should also be mentioned that some people come here to discover links to file sharing site so that they can report it, people come here to download stuff which they will later pass on as their own or in some  way try to benefit from elsewhere. In general traffic = some hassle, which is not really why people come here to get.

I also know that in order to become a member you can either give the invitation section a "spin" or donate some money. As I understand it, money = VIP status... I don't know what this means, but I guess you have to work less in other area's to stay a user here. You do however have to donate some (to me unknown amount of) money in order to become VIP for life as I understand it. Lower amount of money(say 1 USD) gives you fewer days(4 days) as VIP status, until this mystic money limit is reached in which you are VIP for life. (As I understand it... Huh)

In the end for everyone who when tl;dr some while ago, or have some kind of memory problem:
In terms of worth, some people are more valuable then others because they contribute in some way(software/ebooks/money/projects/etc.). On the other side of the coin some people are worth less because they give back nothing but hassle(leechers, scammers and other types of fraudulent wank). But either way, nobody here owns you anything, nobody. Those who own and manage this website I suspect have an idea of what they want it to be, and how to make so. All the things are here for a reason, the hidden stuff, the embedded stuff. Hassle drives people away, content don't, but in the current situation they don't live so well together. So does one do? one approximate as best as possible... if its not to your benefit, complain to those it do concern.

This is the internet and a somewhat shady part of it so not much can be guaranteed, so approach at your own expense.

So much text, please tell me if I said something wrong...  Sad
Also, what are the donor limit and is there a date for the next performance review(aka. Purge)?

edit: Is it not counter effective to talk about the hidden stuff here?HuhHuh?
edit2: I also forgot to mention how I frown upon "likes-", "fav.-", "thanks-" and other kinds of buttons that are used as trophies. Giving is only "pure" when doing so expecting nothing in return.  Sad
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 12:56:46 00:56 by Bobbla » Logged
chicane

Thank You
-Given: 17
-Receive: 27

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 06:37:25 06:37 »

Metal has the same reasoning why I hide links " Links are constantly reported when in public and most links were deleted in few hours"

Some particular publishers of books are very aggressive in going after links. Hence when you find the books on other websites, they slightly change the publishers name on the page, hoping they will have less chance of showing up in a search by those publishers.

These publishers seem to think they are losing business but in reality, just as software can be too expensive, so are some of these books. How many hobbyists could really afford them? Not everyone is at a university and can borrow a $200 book. I don't hide links to feed my ego of some kind of elitism, just practicality.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 06:42:38 06:42 by chicane » Logged
optikon
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 1092
-Receive: 2001

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 08:16:37 20:16 »

Web searching bots and hackers are getting better all the time too. So this is another reason I believe putting links in files are good, giving that one extra layer of isolation from the public.

I can explain this to you. I can't comprehend it for you.
SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You
-Given: 75
-Receive: 405

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 05:32:05 05:32 »

Also, what are the donor limit and is there a date for the next performance review(aka. Purge)?

There is at least 1 month to next purge. Period is not exact. It's when Pickit gets alarmed Smiley
There is no limit to become a donor. I would say you don't have to. You don't meet purge criteria.

- Houston, we have a problem.
Sideshow Bob
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 230
-Receive: 961

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 12:52:46 12:52 »

Ah.... so it soon time for performance review once again. I wonder how my young protegé Bobbla will do it this this time. Has it been any improvements since last time(slacker). I hope so Cheesy
Well joking aside. Here is some of my minds. First of all most of the links found on Sonsivri or similar sites. Are by the pubbliser regarded as pirated. It can only be up to to the individual member to decide how to use anything downloaded. I personally think it is wrong to use pirated software in any commercial setting. The internet not a static thing. It is developing and changing all the time. In the Sonsivri site childhood. The site was a place there people could find links to much sought after and popular software/cracks easy without knowing some that know sombyde and so on. And it was even not required to be a member. The structure of internet has changed since this. A quick search will give you loads and loads of links. But of which 90% is crap. And by using any of this. You do not know if you at the same time have taken a Trojan Horse inside your castle parapet walls. The Sonsivri site is more these days acting as a filter. So the links here now are less crap and more quality. The problem that links these days. Can be as confetti on a windy day. Is something we have to live with. The good thing that then links die. At least two new will pop up

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
pickit2

Thank You

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 12:00:06 00:00 »

There is at least 1 month to next purge. Period is not exact. It's when Pickit gets alarmed Smiley
There is no limit to become a donor. I would say you don't have to. You don't meet purge criteria.
well I see so many abusers, when we want users.. see
http://www.sonsivri.to/forum/index.php?topic=52030.msg149865#msg149865

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...