Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:33:29 00:33

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Links in attachments ?  (Read 3751 times)
diaz

Thank You
-Given: 40
-Receive: 9

« on: January 31, 2013, 01:48:45 01:48 »

Hopefully someone can clear this up. Everyone seems to be putting links for the less than legal stuff in text files and attaching them to a post. I understand why I think, to keep certain content Sonsivri only, and hidden from possible owners of copyrights etc.

People have been warned for not doing this and referred to the rules, but where is the rule that says links of this nature must be attached in text files ? I can give links if needed but that may start people pointing fingers etc. and I don't want that.

It also seems to go against the rules telling you not to obfuscate your URLS, am I supposed to be reading between the lines ?

Just asking so I don't fall fowl. Apologies if it's my searching skills that are lacking but I have looked and looked again.

Ta.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 05:56:38 17:56 by diaz » Logged
solutions

Thank You
-Given: 655
-Receive: 900

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 03:58:51 03:58 »

Nothing to do with less than legal, as far as I am concerned. This is NOT a warez site.

In fact, I think the policy here is to NOT do anything illegal, but merely share knowledge, promote the hobby of building electronics, and allow people to learn tools, or try before they buy if they are using it for anything but non-commercial (in the case of commercial use, you are STEALING money directly) or non-academic (your school should get it for you - they are a commercial user of sorts). If you think about it, in this respect, having a person knowledgeable in the tool creates more sales for commercial use than they would have had. Either by hiring a person in with the skills who wants the tools bought to do the job, or more seats or renewing maintenance by a replacement who knows how to work it.

If you shared/uploaded, didn't cut and paste from another site, which drives some of the mods nuts, why should non-members get a freebie, some of these leeches taking the material and posting it on commercial sites or rehosting it for money per download?  There's no chance any leech (there are many here as well who have a really hard time pressing the "Thank You" button, but a super easy time pressing "download") will reciprocate by sharing knowledge or materials.

The point of this site is sharing with each other as members, not posting warez or providing leeches and warez distributors  with sources of material from which they will make money...which IS illegal. Believe it or not, we are quite careful about whom we invite here....though some of us sneak through the cracks ;-)

I think if it's original U/L, rare, or of immense value, it should go in as an attachment. If it's easily found on Google or on warez sites, obviously there's no point in putting it in a text file.

That's the way I see it. Others may disagree, but the value of this site is sharing and appreciation AMONG MEMBERS and in not pissing off "certain" people who probably do not see us as anything more than hobbyists, learners, and enthusiasts right now. Change the complexion to public warez, opening up uncontrolled for commercial use (theft), it's a whole 'nother ball game.
diaz

Thank You

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 05:54:56 17:54 »

I understand the sentiment and the reasoning, and agree. Your logic seems fair to me.

When I spotted a couple of people that had been warned for seemingly not posting links in attachments and couldn't find a matching rule I became more concerned that I had missed an entire chapter of the rule book and that many pitfalls awaited.

I've asked, what else can I do. At least there are two of us in agreement.

solutions

Thank You

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 06:37:22 18:37 »

I'm not the rulemaker...I just gave my opinon
diaz

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 06:49:47 18:49 »

I know, understood. At least you chipped in. I also agree with the point you made in another post that you alluded to here, that there is some merit in posting links to info that exists on the rest of the web (cut and paste style) as long as it is relevant and of interest to someone here. I guess the rule makers are trying to stop the spamming and dilution of Sonsivri content that would eventually unfold from allowing this. What's the saying, rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 06:59:45 18:59 by diaz » Logged
pickit2

Thank You
-Given: 826
-Receive: 4207

There is no evidence that I muted SoNsIvRi

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 07:40:33 19:40 »

The main reason for the cut&paster rule is this.
Someone finds a link say via google takes the links from the site.
posts them here, With the often used quote "Not Tested"
without testing they have No Value..
Also the poster will not see
1. that they are valid links
2. the contents are what they are say they are.
3. files have malware or worse...
4. If the file links are deleted, and we have 100 members downloading & there is no chance the user reposting files.

damn this can go on forever.
as for rules are for guidance for wise men only, I say...
rule one. you post it it's yours

Note: I stoped Muteing bad members OK I now put thier account in sleep mode
diaz

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 07:51:03 19:51 »

That's kind of more dummy than I was allowing for. I had already assumed any sensible person would check a link and it's contents and archive it for themselves if it was worth sharing. Seriously people just post random links ? What am I saying I have seen that phrase "Not Tested". I would agree that's asking for a nuking.

If we are to grant no leniency to the more sensible among us how far do you want to take this, lets say I find an interesting coding article on someone's website I wish to talk about here. I post a link and start a discussion. I have checked the link, but after posting I have no control over the link or it's contents. You want me to archive the page and re-upload it rather than linking to the original page ? A page that may well feature updates to an interesting article. (I personally would link and archive). Or are we just talking about software ?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:04:21 23:04 by diaz » Logged
pickit2

Thank You
-Given: 826
-Receive: 4207

There is no evidence that I muted SoNsIvRi

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 08:07:00 20:07 »

The rule on posting in text file was a temp fix, links were taken down, so quick, it was the only way to save the links.
if you now visit as a guest or (muted) you don't see all the boards here. so the text rule is redundent.

Note: I stoped Muteing bad members OK I now put thier account in sleep mode
diaz

Thank You

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 08:09:28 20:09 »

Got it, makes perfect sense now. Yet people are still posting links in txt files, I guess it doesn't matter either way now ?
SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You
-Given: 75
-Receive: 405

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 09:00:28 09:00 »

All users have a history here. We are not just applying the rules. The rules are interpreted by the ones who we call 'moderator'. That's the mechanism. Before a rule comes to final, we release it and test it. That's why you say "how we can track the changes". I always put an announcement in the dedicated board if I modify existed or release new one. We also have local rules too.

I also sometimes thinking why to bother with rules, aren't there so much of them? But, you see it's an experience, learned from past. To give valuable people a better place, we have to be obsessive with the rules. As all the moderation team is crazy, they are doing great job Smiley

- Houston, we have a problem.
Sideshow Bob
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 230
-Receive: 960

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 02:20:17 14:20 »

But as it is now. Is posting links in attachments an option or mandatory?

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
metal
Global Moderator

Thank You
-Given: 862
-Receive: 678

Top Topic Starter

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 02:25:50 14:25 »

in hidden sections it is no longer needed.
SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You
-Given: 75
-Receive: 405

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 03:31:23 15:31 »

And I will drop notice in board descriptions that it is hidden board. There must be easy way to tell members. But I can't think of it now. Members shouldn't have to track descriptions to know it is hidden or not.

- Houston, we have a problem.
diaz

Thank You

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 06:02:36 18:02 »

OK glad that's cleared up. What about the point I raised with regards to information type links of interest ?

Lets say I find an interesting coding article on someone's website I wish to talk about here. I post a link and start a discussion. I have checked the link, but after posting I have no control over the link or it's contents. You want me to archive the page and re-upload it rather than linking to the original page ? A page that may well feature updates to an interesting article. (I personally would link and archive). Or are we just talking about linking to software ?

This thread by me is an example http://www.sonsivri.to/forum/index.php?topic=50073
This is allowable yes ? People found it interesting, but at the start it was just copy and paste information.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 06:06:11 18:06 by diaz » Logged
Sideshow Bob
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 230
-Receive: 960

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 07:47:56 19:47 »

Diaz just post anything that you may find interesting/useful, and want to bring forward to other members. An important function of this forum is to filter the vast quantity information that is out on the net. And in that way help other members to pick the golden nuggets, without having to vade throug tons of crap. What the moderators/SONSiVRi dislike is then members uncritically post links without inspecting the contents first

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
diaz

Thank You

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 07:58:43 19:58 »

Great, I hoped that was going to be the case. That DIY Xray tube video was an absolute find for me, seemed sensible to share.

I still can't get my head round why you would share a link (for anything) you hadn't checked. I can see how that would drive you guys nuts, it's tantamount to spam.
solutions

Thank You

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 08:03:06 20:03 »

It's a bit puzzling to me regarding how you shared a video link, thought it was useful, but have not weighed in on a topic in the forum suggestions section on whether posting embedded videos here would be useful, as "Sonsivri" himself asked.
diaz

Thank You

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 08:15:53 20:15 »

I did notice the question about embedding videos, I was in two minds, still am, not sure I like the interruption in the flow of reading they cause. Petty I know. Makes the page look messy. Call me old fashioned.

EDIT 2 minutes later: Yes, it would be useful, that fact I don't like the look of it isn't really important to the masses.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 08:22:11 20:22 by diaz » Logged
Bobbla

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 16

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 09:27:00 21:27 »

There must be easy way to tell members. But I can't think of it now. Members shouldn't have to track descriptions to know it is hidden or not.

I don't suppose you have a global PM function? The "you have x messages, y are new" message follows you everywhere.. and I think you get a window pop up when a new PM first appears. Hard to ignore if you ask me.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...