The Godfather talking
You can run, but you can't hide.
Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:46:26 12:46

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Moles...  (Read 7281 times)
CocaCola

Thank You
-Given: 169
-Receive: 232

« on: October 26, 2012, 01:15:26 01:15 »

In regards to threads like this...

http://www.sonsivri.to/forum/index.php?topic=41171.0

where it's clear a mole is onboard...

Many years ago I had a similar problem on another site (although doing so was a little work for the staff) I ended up logging the users that downloaded the attached files...  After I narrowed down the list of suspects to those that had downloaded the rapidly killed links, I did some behind the scenes coding changes to the forum that 'blocked the real linked txt file' from those accounts temporarily and instead injected one of several multiple unique linked mirrored txt files that I made, all those links going to different mirrors of the upload ...  The uploads all contained a slight change to rar packing (aka modified readme.txt in them) so the hosting site didn't do a global checksum delete...  It was just a matter of monitoring those mirrored links for a few days, as soon as one dies you have identified the mole and can tar and feather them...

Yeah I know it's a hassle but if the issue continues and persist it can be pretty rapidly dealt with in this way...
Magnox

Thank You
-Given: 976
-Receive: 279

Oink!

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 09:39:05 09:39 »

Personally, I've always found explosives to be a good cure for moles, but I suppose your solution is more workable, and a little quieter.

Nice idea!
pickit2

Thank You
-Given: 823
-Receive: 4194

There is no evidence that I muted SoNsIvRi

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 11:08:22 11:08 »

The file in question was deleted by the hosting site, due to it being a passworded archive file posted by a free user, or a split archive file, and not in a payed for account.

You can post these files but if it's in the format of the above, it will be deleted, after the download limit for such files are reached (10 downloads), or it's found to be a split file.

so maybe we don't have as many moles in our yard, as some seem to think.
Maybe we need users to repost to better hosting sites, some have free accounts if registed dont delete files so quick.

Added if some of the leechers in here had done this, they still may have accounts in here.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 11:11:59 11:11 by pickit2 » Logged

Note: I stoped Muteing bad members OK I now put thier account in sleep mode
optikon
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 1092
-Receive: 1999

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 12:00:31 12:00 »

For the thread referenced, the issue is Mediafire. I have noticed lately that they seem to have become more serious about taking down password protected archives. Like Pickit said, when files are downloaded a certain number of times, the system automatically checks them and breaks them if they violate TOS.

I can explain this to you. I can't comprehend it for you.
solutions

Thank You
-Given: 655
-Receive: 900

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 12:44:36 12:44 »

I doubt it checks them. Think about it. If it's meant to be shared, there is no password. If it is meant to be pseudo-private, once it's picked up by x number of d/l's, it's "safe" to create more disk space.

That's what I think is happening there.

Mediafire was good and fast until users started putting p/w's on their downloads (which I don't really understand, because the links are hidden already in the text file attachment)
CocaCola

Thank You
-Given: 169
-Receive: 232

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 03:41:41 15:41 »

If they are in fact 'automatically' checking for passwords on archives and nuking them, it might be suitable to double wrap them, in a regular unprotected archive that contains a protected one inside...  I doubt they automated software will explore all levels of the archive...

Also my suggestion was if a mole problem persist or develops further, an isolated incident is to be expected now and again...
solutions

Thank You
-Given: 655
-Receive: 900

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 05:28:11 05:28 »

I think you misunderstood, or I wasn't clear in my posting.

By merely setting a password at the time of your upload to MF, you run an autodelete timer.

There's no need for any kind of inspection to save disk space, and I seriously doubt they have the time or resources to do © checks.
optikon
Cracking Team

Thank You
-Given: 1092
-Receive: 1999

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 05:51:05 17:51 »

Maybe they have automated checks, maybe they don't. I don't know about the rest of you but I feel there are plenty of choices out there for free hosting that do not have d/l limit checks or password TOS violations. Problem is all the free places suck in their own special way.  Undecided All else being equal, seems a safer bet to me to keep stuff encrypted/private as much as one can because who knows what might happen.

I can explain this to you. I can't comprehend it for you.

Thank You
-Given: 52
-Receive: 1718

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 06:27:04 18:27 »

"Our Free subscription has file limitations.  These certain file may be shared up to 10 times per week.   Theses types are special archives, such as ZIP or RAR files, that are encrypted, password protected, or split into pieces.

Upgrading your account will remove these limitations on file types.  Premium customers may share special archives, including archives over 200MB, as long as you have Content Distribution bandwidth.  Premium memberships do not allow you to download special archives from non-premium users once they have reached the weekly limit."

Source:
http://support.mediafire.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/91/4/what-is-a-file-restriction

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...