Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:00:59 12:00

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Invite Criteria  (Read 3575 times)
GunMage

Thank You
-Given: 11
-Receive: 35

« on: September 11, 2012, 09:52:36 21:52 »

To the veterans of this forum:

Now that I have the right to invie and completely uinderstand that those I invite are my responsibility I was curious what criteria you guys use to determine if you are going to extend an invite.

I did search to see if this was disucssed previously and found nothing so I thought I would ask. I am interested in what you guys think and how you determine who get's in (outside of the obvious such as friends or donation).

Thoughts?
bbarney

Thank You
-Given: 405
-Receive: 545

Uhm? where did pickit put my mute button

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 10:31:45 22:31 »

The choice is entirely up to you but easier to tell who we don't invite,  guy's who start by saying "I need " (the biggest one)
usally you can tell by what they say whether there is a chance they might contribute
some guy's fill in next to nothing cause their to lazy (no invite) other guy's fill in giberish
if a guy takes the time to say a little about himself and his interest's he's usally a good invite just read a bunch and you'll see what I'am talking about but remember we've all been burned by bullshit (more than once  Tongue)
probably for every 20 you invite there might be 1 or 2 keeper's
good luck  Cheesy

Ever wonder why Kamikaze pilot's wore helmet's ?
pickit2

Thank You
-Given: 826
-Receive: 4207

There is no evidence that I muted SoNsIvRi

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 11:21:07 23:21 »

To the veterans of this forum:

Now that I have the right to invie and completely uinderstand that those I invite are my responsibility I was curious what criteria you guys use to determine if you are going to extend an invite.
I don't think you can be held resonsable for your invites, same as bbarney we all invite the stupid footers.

Just noted there is one posted in invite board, saying "I got invited, but lost the invite" so please invite again.
Some funnyones I have moved to testing forum, showing why no invite.

I just can't help jumping on the ones that say "I want to help" and when in ten post "I want"

Also I keep inviting one person (he has had 3 accounts removed this year), so I can mute him yet again.

Note: I stoped Muteing bad members OK I now put thier account in sleep mode
GunMage

Thank You

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 11:53:30 23:53 »

Quote from: pickit2

Also I keep inviting one person (he has had 3 accounts removed this year), so I can mute him yet again.

That's just funny

I approve of this behavior, strictly out of amusement  Cool
solutions

Thank You
-Given: 655
-Receive: 900

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 05:35:27 05:35 »

Don't give out the formula...if you want to give an answer, post it as a text attachment. There are a lot of weasels in the world...don't feed them.

Invite who you think would be useful, someone who will put in more than they take out, someone you'd look forward to having here, someone who won't kill the board or change it from its core values and focus (development).

Once in a while, a charity basket case, or <gasp> a girl to add to this sausagefest  Kiss
SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You
-Given: 75
-Receive: 405

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 06:07:12 06:07 »

You can be held of responsible for your invitees. I wrote this because of;
Think of a member from a country named xxx. Every time he checks the board, he only invites members from xxx. If these members become inactive or beggar, they certainly are useless for the forum. The member who invites them are responsible for this. It is not because he invited members only from xxx (this would be racism), he invited members without thinking (acting from his senses) and the result is his fault. That's the reason why we say "think before invite". Of course your invitee might become beggar, it's not your fault at all. He might be a liar.

- Houston, we have a problem.
GunMage

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 03:00:28 15:00 »

Quote from: SONSiVRi
You can be held of responsible for your invitees. I wrote this because.....

I had thought I had read that (go figure I actually read through all the rules Shocked ), which is why I initially brought it up. I get the fact that on some levels I can or can't be held responsible. However, as it has always been my goal to add more to the community than I take, I take the responsibility seriously. While I know it is hard to know everything from just the invite request perhaps there is a way to "interview" potential canadates like a "trial" level. Perhaps they can post in a topic to add to the conversation but still not have acces to the attachments. Yes I know that last sentance really belongs in the "forum suggestions" topic but it is relevant to the topic at hand.

I personally look at the invite requests and think there is no way I want to be responsible for someone I do not know based on a few lines of text. I would love to help increase the numbers in this community with productive members. I just don't see the vehicle to make that happen easily. Just my $0.02.

And that was what prompted me to ask the question in the first place. I also think Solutions had a great point don't give away the formula.
Bobbla

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 16

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 10:30:27 22:30 »

Well, while I myself have never invited anyone I do think that it would help if there were some kind of tool to help us(the inviter). Maybe something that could tell us if the IP had been used to make any (other) recent invite requests, or if the invite name is similar to a previous user. Then we might see if the person(IP) who is requesting an invite have maybe done several requests with different user name or "skills". I guess this is sort of a long shot with dynamic IP's and the work it might require to make this tool, but if realized it might help find liars so that we can avoid em. (Unless you are on a power trip, looking to abuse the poor poor liars.)

That being said, we could always make a wheel of fortune type of invite system. Once a month we have a machine pick one or more winners, which frankly might pick a "good" users just as often as human version since there is no way to verify any of the stuff that is said in the invite post.

I understand that the whole invite + links in the attachment is to make sure that the "unprivileged" leecher don't get his "filthy" hands on the goods. But this means that a lot of people now will have to lie in order to get their hands on the goods. I suspect that the contributors are getting competition from the lying leechers now, which in turn will lower the chance of inviting a actual contributor. (just saying, and yes I just realized that this whole post is kind of off topic.)

In the end, I suspect the administrator and his "trusted" friends already have the tools they need and that you and I can not trust anyone. (And I'm not sure about you either as I have no way to verify if you are among other things a sockpuppet.) Trust nobody, not even yourself or this post by definition.

Also, I refuse to accept the notion that only inviting someone from the same county is discrimination.
solutions

Thank You
-Given: 655
-Receive: 900

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 05:12:07 05:12 »

Having IP addresses available to those monkeys that do not approve of sharing knowledge, just before someone joins, will be immensely appreciated. In any case, public IP visibility (the mods likely have it) will SIGNIFICANTLY cut down on the invite requests.

Countryman X inviting only people from Country X vs inviting a member on their merits? How is that not discrimination? Maybe not "racist", but certainly is jingoist.

The mods have done a good job weeding, and there was a huge purge a few weeks ago. With a smaller member count, deadbeats are easier to watch. But, yes, hit and runs will always be hard to avoid.
GunMage

Thank You

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 03:08:42 15:08 »

Quote from: solutions

The mods have done a good job weeding, and there was a huge purge a few weeks ago. With a smaller member count, deadbeats are easier to watch. But, yes, hit and runs will always be hard to avoid.

This is very true. The Mods have been doing an excellent job. In the same manner I want to make their job easier by inviting contributing members so the Mods don't have to purge. I realize it is always inevitiable that some culling of the herd will have to be done but why not strive to make it easier. I am just looking for a way to make finding quality canidates easier and understand that it just may not happen, at least easily. One can hope or as I have done leverage the experience and knowledge that already exisit in this community.
SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You
-Given: 75
-Receive: 405

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 08:33:47 20:33 »

I read my post and seems I couldn't specify it clearly. I used racism;
I would be racist if I would judge the person by he is inviting people only from his country (I can't be against it).

- Houston, we have a problem.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...