Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:56:38 00:56

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: routing a modem to the network  (Read 4325 times)
alberto110

Thank You
-Given: 50
-Receive: 10

« on: August 21, 2012, 09:18:46 09:18 »

Hi friends ,
i have problem in a project . i want to use a USB GPRS  modem connected to PC for accessing to a remote devices that has gprs modem (like sim900 ) . but my software on PC only connect via LAN to connect to TCP/IP while the USB GPRS MODEM creat vitual COM Port Modem and therefore doesn't appear in the LAN Connection . anyone  help me how can i route the GPRS Modem to LAN .
thanks alot .
Jef Patat

Thank You
-Given: 12
-Receive: 37

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 09:45:46 09:45 »

Your question is a bit vague to me. IIRC GPRS supports several other protocols, TCP/IP being one of them.  It seems to me that your USB GPRS modem doesn't offer you a direct access to TCP/IP.  This is somewhat normal behaviour for a standard USB connection since standard microsoft drivers (I don't know about other OS's) don't fully implement the USB communication class and most hardware vendors don't go through the trouble of writing their own and just use an FTDI chip.  The functionality you are looking is provided on Windows through RNDIS, but then your device needs to support that.

I do not know of any tools that tunnel COM to LAN.  I actively use ethernet adapters, but that's just the opposite of what you need, maybe the other way around also exists.

And else I guess you need to look for an ethernet connected GPRS modem if your software requires a network port.

Anyway, let us know what solution you came up with.
metal
Global Moderator

Thank You
-Given: 862
-Receive: 678

Top Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 10:16:14 10:16 »

May be this is useful: http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/33799/Serial-Port-to-Network-Interface
alberto110

Thank You

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 10:27:31 10:27 »

Your question is a bit vague to me. IIRC GPRS supports several other protocols, TCP/IP being one of them.  It seems to me that your USB GPRS modem doesn't offer you a direct access to TCP/IP.  This is somewhat normal behaviour for a standard USB connection since standard microsoft drivers (I don't know about other OS's) don't fully implement the USB communication class and most hardware vendors don't go through the trouble of writing their own and just use an FTDI chip.  The functionality you are looking is provided on Windows through RNDIS, but then your device needs to support that.

I do not know of any tools that tunnel COM to LAN.  I actively use ethernet adapters, but that's just the opposite of what you need, maybe the other way around also exists.

And else I guess you need to look for an ethernet connected GPRS modem if your software requires a network port.

Anyway, let us know what solution you came up with.

my USB modem is DLINK DWM-156 and comes with a software that create connection and connect  to web . but unlike the USB adsl modems that create a virtual LAN this case doesn't use this way .
also what is ethernet adapters ?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 10:29:35 10:29 by alberto110 » Logged
alberto110

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 12:14:41 12:14 »

Hi Alberto,
I' am not sure, but I think that sim900 can connect to network provider via GPRS and get dinamic IP from it, thus you can connect to sim900 from your PC (connected to internet, but not necessarily by GPRS).
You can use Dyndns or similar if sim900 has support for dynamic DNS.

Bye
Pasca

I use static IP simcard .
alberto110

Thank You

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 06:06:23 06:06 »

is that possible to use internet sharing on PC that connected to USB Modem to another PC via LAN ?
Jef Patat

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 08:34:07 08:34 »

my USB modem is DLINK DWM-156 and comes with a software that create connection and connect  to web . but unlike the USB adsl modems that create a virtual LAN this case doesn't use this way .
also what is ethernet adapters ?

With all due respect I'm having difficulties following the information you are giving. With 'the software' do you mean an application or a driver?  How do you connect to the web? Can you use a browser like Internet Explorere, Firefox, ... to surf on the web?  If so, there must be a network connection. Maybe the connection is hidden? Does "ipconfig /all" from the command prompt learn you anything? Is your device listed there?

This is one of the adapters I use: http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=240_TU2-ETG&cat=32

I'm still convinced that if the driver doesn't offer you a virtual port and you need one you will have to look for other hardware or investigate a solution as metal posted.
alberto110

Thank You

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 10:44:40 10:44 »

With all due respect I'm having difficulties following the information you are giving. With 'the software' do you mean an application or a driver?  How do you connect to the web? Can you use a browser like Internet Explorere, Firefox, ... to surf on the web?  If so, there must be a network connection. Maybe the connection is hidden? Does "ipconfig /all" from the command prompt learn you anything? Is your device listed there?

This is one of the adapters I use: http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=240_TU2-ETG&cat=32

I'm still convinced that if the driver doesn't offer you a virtual port and you need one you will have to look for other hardware or investigate a solution as metal posted.

i have two software , one is coming with USB Modem (Dlink Connection manager ) that creat a dial up connection to internet and i see the connection at the windows Network connection . and another is a software that get information from the remote device ( is a flow meter ) and connect via MODBUS TCP protocol .but when select MODBUS TCP protocol from the list in that software , then only LAN is available in the connection drop down menu . but when i select local protocols ,then i have more choices like COM1 , COM2, GSM Modem . . .

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 10:51:40 10:51 by alberto110 » Logged
Jef Patat

Thank You

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 12:13:29 12:13 »

Is the Modbus protocol enabled on your Dlink network connection?
alberto110

Thank You

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 08:31:32 08:31 »

Is the Modbus protocol enabled on your Dlink network connection?

DLINK is dialup Network and didn't related to the MODBUS Protocol
Pasca

Thank You
-Given: 27
-Receive: 42

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 09:28:06 09:28 »

If d-link is a dialup network device you must have a virtual com port on your computer!!!
Can you confirm that?

Bye
Pasca

More I know, more I need to know. Less I know, meglio sto!!!
Jef Patat

Thank You

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 11:10:50 11:10 »

That is not correct, you should look to this in another way.  An adapter in itself is just a piece of hardware.  Software makes use of this hardware and connections between several hardwares are done on a higher level, mostly using several layers (OSI model).  Somehow the Modbus protocol (= software) must run on your hardware or on top of another protocol.  From a quick google I see there exist Modbus on TCP variants so I think it should be possible.  But still, I'm quite convinced you need to enable the protocol on that hardware.  I have had that same situation with EtherCAT. Have you actually checked what I recommended? If it is not listed or enabled I can't see how the software stack can run on that hardware. Is the Modbus protocol driver compatible with your Dlink?
alberto110

Thank You

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 10:02:10 10:02 »

If d-link is a dialup network device you must have a virtual com port on your computer!!!
Can you confirm that?

Bye
Pasca

yes there is , but as i told in i need Virtual LAN
Pasca

Thank You
-Given: 27
-Receive: 42

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 11:38:31 11:38 »

Can you try ATI0 to ATI12 on virtual com port created by d-link?
If it works you have info on capabilities of modem.

but when i select local protocols ,then i have more choices like COM1 , COM2, GSM Modem . . .
Can you try to connect using "local protocols" and GSM modem (AT commands) on virtual com?

Frankly, I fear that your "modem d-link" is a 3G device!

Bye
Pasca

More I know, more I need to know. Less I know, meglio sto!!!
alberto110

Thank You

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 11:48:53 23:48 »

Can you try ATI0 to ATI12 on virtual com port created by d-link?
If it works you have info on capabilities of modem.
Can you try to connect using "local protocols" and GSM modem (AT commands) on virtual com?

Frankly, I fear that your "modem d-link" is a 3G device!

Bye
Pasca

yes that is 3g but in this case i use 2g network "GPRS " . BUT why ?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...