The Godfather talking
You think I am funny guy huh?
Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:33:43 09:33

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Raspberry Pi  (Read 4946 times)
OlDrunk
« on: June 07, 2012, 05:18:38 05:18 »

Just wondering if there are many on here that are interested in the Raspberry Pi, waiting for it to ship or got one already? I just got my'n in the mail the other day ordered back in Feb when it launched.
aplank

Thank You
-Given: 137
-Receive: 193

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 06:49:22 06:49 »

Just wondering if there are many on here that are interested in the Raspberry Pi, waiting for it to ship or got one already? I just got my'n in the mail the other day ordered back in Feb when it launched.

Yeup, got mine about six weeks ago. Seems to work well, but very fussy about the brand/type of SD card. Pressure at work means there's not yet been much of a chance to use. Last week a second one arrived.
kayvee

Thank You
-Given: 98
-Receive: 101

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 09:00:59 09:00 »

Mine should be delivered any day now, they said 3 weeks ... about 3 weeks ago when I paid.  Can't wait.

And for those that have been living under a rock Wink

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

http://www.themagpi.com/
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 09:32:35 09:32 by kayvee » Logged
pickit2

Thank You
-Given: 826
-Receive: 4207

There is no evidence that I muted SoNsIvRi

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 12:21:52 12:21 »

Got my 2nd last week, swopped the first one for a load of arm dev. boards, so well pleased.
pity they made a mess of laying out the pcb, very amateurish, they are not designed with any thought.
1. No mounting holes.. how hard to miss this?
2. Usb & Network sockets not in line, makes it hard to fit in a case. good design is all sockets on one edge of board.
3. Sd card mount as above, no thought of placement.
4. using a mini usb for power in, I can see problems not having a proper power jack & switch here.

Note: I stoped Muteing bad members OK I now put thier account in sleep mode
aplank

Thank You
-Given: 137
-Receive: 193

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 12:26:41 12:26 »

1. No mounting holes.. how hard to miss this?

Seem to remember seeing a reason(/excuse) for that one on their website a while ago ... It was along the lines of "holes take up space".
pickit2

Thank You
-Given: 826
-Receive: 4207

There is no evidence that I muted SoNsIvRi

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 01:14:51 13:14 »

Seem to remember seeing a reason(/excuse) for that one on their website a while ago ... It was along the lines of "holes take up space".
True, but thier target customer is the school system, how long are they going to last there, blue-tacked to a workbench.
Also as the old saying goes, size is not everything!

Note: I stoped Muteing bad members OK I now put thier account in sleep mode
metal
Global Moderator

Thank You
-Given: 862
-Receive: 678

Top Topic Starter

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 02:42:39 14:42 »

Basically, if the board doesn't have power switch, then is a serious failure. I was going to own ARM discovery, but as long as it lacks the power switch, I am no longer interested, is it really difficult to add a switch when designing a PCB. What kind of budget crap is this?

I liked your comment about all plugs on one side, it gave me a good insight for one of my projects, thanks!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 02:45:13 14:45 by metal » Logged
Old_but_Alive

Thank You
-Given: 705
-Receive: 118

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 06:42:23 18:42 »

I dont have one, or one on order, but

Punnet cardboard cut-out case for the Raspberry Pi

http://dangerousprototypes.com/2012/06/06/the-punnet-a-cardboard-cut-out-case-for-the-raspberry-pi/

I fought Ohm's Law ...  and the law won
I only use Mosfets because I have a Bipolar mental disorder :-)
OlDrunk
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 06:56:09 18:56 »

I agree with the poor design comment, the polyfuses on the USB ports are a pain the ass I can't get some peripherals to work like a simple 100mA optical mouse with out splicing the USB cable to have independent 5V power supply connection. The polyfuse is suppose to be rated @ 140mA but getting crazy voltage drops well below 4.4V after 90mA. I know this just a Dev release of the RPi and the final for school use should be better, I hope. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 07:03:03 19:03 by OlDrunk » Logged
CocaCola

Thank You
-Given: 169
-Receive: 232

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 05:07:03 05:07 »

I was really looking to pick up one of these but held off, looks like it might have been a good choice as I'm not in hurry to jump in due to time constraints...

Hopefully they will address the smaller but annoying issues and streamline the production with a revision 2 version...

True, but thier target customer is the school system, how long are they going to last there, blue-tacked to a workbench.

I agree, a few mounting holes to put a few standoffs in so it can be mounted to a base is almost a necessity in an educational environment...  It's way too easy to smoke bare boards with conductive debris or whatever it might inadvertently contact on a work surface...  And that is not even taking into consideration the components on the underside getting damaged...
h0nk

Thank You
-Given: 209
-Receive: 230

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 05:17:00 17:17 »

Some notes for Raspberry Pi newbies:

www.raspberrypi.org - still no wiki, you have to do a heavy search if You run into problems.
www.elinux.org - much better

Hardware modifications:
On my Pi i shortened the fuses for the USB-ports.
Pro: Depending on the power supply, the Pi can now drive even external USB-drives.
Con: USB-hotplug may reset the Pi if the external device contains bigger capacitors.

Software:
The kernel (debian6-19-04-2012) misses all of the enhanced network features like:
iptables, bridging and vlan support
If You recompile Your kernel, get also the firmwarepackage:
https://nodeload.github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tarball/master
and replace the files above /opt/vc
Do a depmod -a and a ldconfig. After a reboot the video core should happy again.
On my (overclocked 900 MHz CPU/500 MHz RAM) Pi the compilation took:
real    339m18.118s
user    317m13.270s
sys     13m18.870s

Attached my .config file.

Best Regards

Nazral
Inactive

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 6

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 01:50:28 13:50 »

Picked up one of these a while ago as a hassle-free means of interfacing a screen and user I/O to some instrumentation I've been working on (Overkill, I know). It arrived with C6 knocked loose and an erratic joint on the SD socket. Few bodges with the soldering iron sorted it out in due time. The lack of mounting holes as mentioned by pickit2 is an amazing oversight; as an owner of many, many development kits, it's rare to see one lacking them.

Also, I'm sure most of us have seen this before, but if not, the following PDF contains all relevant memory addresses for the peripheral suite of the Broadcom chip.
 http://www.alliedelec.com/images/Products/mkt/lp/1203/resources/Broadcom_datasheet.pdf
element7k

Thank You
-Given: 6
-Receive: 10

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 11:10:39 11:10 »

Hi,

is the raspberry pi able to stream video from its HDMI ports?  (say for example I want to watch something on netflix on my TV without having to boot up my laptop) Does it overheat? Has anyone tried it?

E7K
h0nk

Thank You

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 12:41:49 12:41 »

Hi,

is the raspberry pi able to stream video from its HDMI ports?  (say for example I want to watch something on netflix on my TV without having to boot up my laptop) Does it overheat? Has anyone tried it?

E7K
HDMI is output only on the Pi.
The CPU stays quiet cold, even at 900 MHz running at nominal voltage.
The USB-chip tends to heat up. Sorry no IR-equipment to measure.

Best Regards
CocaCola

Thank You
-Given: 169
-Receive: 232

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 09:00:11 21:00 »

say for example I want to watch something on netflix on my TV without having to boot up my laptop

You can always get a dedicated box to do that, I have the Western Digital TV Live Plus, a complete home entertainment system in a small box...  You get several streaming services including Netflix, as well as external USB storage access and shared network or media server access, even between WD units...  I have one central networked computer in my house loaded with my entire media collection and a WD box on each TV that results in a complete wireless entertainment system...
h0nk

Thank You

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 02:35:05 02:35 »

The BCM2835 Peripheral Doc.
Bookmarks and Errata added.

Best Regards
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...