Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:56:00 11:56

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: ICD-U40 hardware upgrade from V1 to V5c  (Read 5491 times)
Magnox

Thank You
-Given: 976
-Receive: 279

Oink!

« on: February 22, 2012, 09:11:50 21:11 »

I've been asked to post this - it should be of interest to those of us with an early model ICD-U40.

The original version of the ICD-U40 from CCS was lacking in a couple of areas that were fixed in a revised version. These include support for more PIC's due to more flexible voltage control. The V1 cannot take the later firmware that supports these and, as if to add insult to injury, every time you try to program a device with it the CCS-Load software complains with a pop-up that the device is limited. CCS charge quite a lot to upgrade your old V1 hardware. Bad CCS!!!

I searched for ages for the new schematic, and eventually found it on a company's website, along with the instructions to do the upgrade. That made life really easy!

I checked out the schematics myself first (I didn't want to blow up my programmer) and the instructions matched the differences, so I followed them, more or less. The upgrade worked perfectly, to my huge relief.

Note that the PIC in the ICD-U40 will need fully reprogramming with another programmer - I bought a PICKit 3 on special offer mostly for that purpose, and also because it supports more chips that I wanted to use than even the updated U40. I still prefer to use the U40 on most of my projects though.

Download the upgrade files from the link in the attachment. Please do not share outside Sonsivri. The files include V1 and V5c schematics, upgrade instructions, hex files for PIC and EEPROM, and pictures.

Some notes on the procedure

The replaced resistors are 0603 size. I had 0805 and they just fit, but I would rather have used 0603.

Get the smallest capacitors you can for the underside.

When putting the parts on the underside, remember that there is very little clearance underneath when in the case. I had to gouge out a little plastic inside the case for the capacitors, so that the board would fit without undue pressure.

Study the instructions well before commencing - I did things a little differently to suit myself and my skills. Do the same if you are confident, or just follow them exactly if you prefer.

Check the in-circuit programming pinout on the board - it is NOT standard. I made a little cable up because I happened to have the right connector in my scrap box, but tack-soldering wires underneath would suffice for a temporary programming connection.

If you have any funny issues with lack of communication after the upgrade, try reprogramming the EEPROM (It's done by loading the firmware though windows - it's used by the FTDI chip for the serial). I did not need to; after programming the PIC, everything worked perfectly.

At the end of the process, and after reprogramming the PIC, you can (and should) load the latest firmware onto the U40 through CCS-Load.

*** Updated attachment to include both ZIP and RAR archives - only one of them is needed ***
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 05:19:56 17:19 by foxyrick » Logged
Magnox

Thank You

Oink!

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 02:44:32 02:44 »

I've taken some pictures of my modified board:

darck_khronos

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 93

Khronoscorp Systems

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 02:20:54 14:20 »

i have problems, message rar

!   D:\descargas\U40V5c.zip: Método desconocido en 1390_ModBot.jpg
!   D:\descargas\U40V5c.zip: No hay ficheros para extraer
Magnox

Thank You

Oink!

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 03:06:41 15:06 »

Looks like 'unknown method' - you probably need to update your winzip or whatever program you use.

The download works - I tested it by downloading myself and extracting it.

Note that Rapidshare seem to be having problems today (and last night) with files taking a long time to download.

Posted on: February 23, 2012, 02:55:55 14:55 - Automerged

I need to go out right now, but I'll reupload it in rar later if you don't get it.
Old_but_Alive

Thank You
-Given: 699
-Receive: 118

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 03:20:03 15:20 »

no problems for me with the original  download

I fought Ohm's Law ...  and the law won
I only use Mosfets because I have a Bipolar mental disorder :-)
Magnox

Thank You

Oink!

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 04:44:22 16:44 »

That's good to know, thanks.

I've been trying to log into rapidshare to put a rar version up but it still seems to be having issues and I can't get into my account.

I use winzip 14.5 pro in compatibility mode with aes encryption - it should work with any recent multi-de-archiver.

---

I got in - attachment in original post updated to include a rar link.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 05:20:54 17:20 by foxyrick » Logged
cerebronico

Thank You
-Given: 262
-Receive: 27

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 10:01:44 22:01 »

Links non functional, please re-upload

c

Cry Cry Cry Cry
koky

Thank You
-Given: 149
-Receive: 157

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 10:40:44 22:40 »

i have found this information

http://www.tayloredge.com/reference/Circuits/ICDU40/index.html

Magnox

Thank You

Oink!

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 11:50:42 23:50 »

Yes, that's the same information as in my files.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...