Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:59:05 23:59

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: post-PCB Assembly image from assembly house?  (Read 3898 times)
popoyboys

Thank You
-Given: 12
-Receive: 3

« on: June 04, 2012, 03:43:28 15:43 »

Are there PCB assemblies that takes a picture of the PCB after the assembly process and send it to customer prior to shipment?
Is this process a typical part of the PCB Assembly process?
What are the advantages/disadvantages of doing such?
kukumar

Thank You
-Given: 29
-Receive: 28

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 07:04:56 19:04 »

It is not typical but it is possible. During   Automatic Visual inspection , every PCB has been captured by Hi resolution camera.
This picture could be send  to customers but only if customer ask it (and pay for it) 

Parmin

Thank You
-Given: 494
-Receive: 133

Very Wise (and grouchy) Old Man

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 12:15:35 00:15 »

Some of the assembly house do take photographs (very high resolution) on high density joints such as TQFP chips.
These photographs are then used to determine the amount of solder and/or the quality of soldering on the joint.
Often the client will then be sent the photo for further discussion.

Other than that, I usually insist on a high quality photo of assembled board before the final production.
You pay the bill, they would do everything to earn it.

If I have said something that offends you, please let me know, so I can say it again later.
bigtoy

Thank You
-Given: 322
-Receive: 297

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 05:38:31 05:38 »

I've seen it, but only when I've requested it. I've also requested the x-ray images of BGA parts on occasion.
solutions

Thank You
-Given: 656
-Receive: 903

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 08:43:28 20:43 »

What's the point?

You have the board in your hand, so why do you need a picture that you can simply take yourself?

For a preproduction build, why would you ask for a picture for "orientation of polarized components", when they come off a tape and reel? You should do a preproduction build, validate the board works, then build more the same way.  A picture is pure silliness to satisfy some idiot supervisor, IMO. And there are a lot of them in Europe in my experience.
Parmin

Thank You

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 12:13:34 00:13 »

You are right, if the board already on hand, there is no point to ask for a photo.

However, usually it took about 3 to 5 days for the board to arrive from factory, and freight are quite costly even for a prototype pre-production board.
Also, as QA from China are a bit of a problem, it is prudent for the company to inspect the board and assembly (based on pictures), prior to the board being shipped.
As you could usually pick up major mistakes on the board from the picture right after they are out from factory floor, instead of waiting 4 days and paying freight just to find out that they pop in the IC the wrong way
(I exaggerate here, if any factory ever pop in the IC the wrong way, I would right there and then cancel the production order).

If I have said something that offends you, please let me know, so I can say it again later.
txjammer

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 4

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 10:59:35 22:59 »

It depends on what type of boards. Single layer through hole, double sided through hole, surface mount, the possibilities are endless. A picture cannot tell you if the traces are conducting from one trace to another. Just like if you don't see an engine in a picture of a car, how do you know it will move. If its for non technical purposes , then I guess it would be ok.
CocaCola

Thank You
-Given: 169
-Receive: 232

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 12:49:02 00:49 »

On a similar note (not a flat hijack, as it's quite inline with the current topic) has anyone had a good experience and price with a particular assembly house when doing a lower volume order, one you would be willing to share?  Lets say 50-100 units?  I have always done assembly in house, but it's starting to get old and consumes too much of my R&D time on new projects, thus I'm on the brink of outsourcing assembly and it's been really a blind pin the hole on the donkey experience thus far...  I would expect a single built and delivered prototype from said assembly house for testing before committing to the run...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 03:59:40 03:59 by CocaCola » Logged
Parmin

Thank You

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 01:55:58 01:55 »

On a similar note (not a flat hijack, as it's quite inline with the current topic) has anyone had a good experience and price with a particular assembly house when doing a lower volume order, one you would be willing to share?  Lets say 50-100 units?

Send me PM of the details, I got good contact in China.

txjammer

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 4

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 05:09:34 05:09 »

There is a big setup fee in the beginning but overall its not too bad after that.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...