The Godfather talking
This is god damn my place! Capisci?
Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:28:29 01:28

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: GPS Dog Collar  (Read 4982 times)
jcsntoll

Thank You
-Given: 24
-Receive: 3

« on: November 13, 2011, 07:57:27 07:57 »

I'm looking to buy/build a simple GPS Dog Collar.

All it NEEDS to do it track where the dog goes, so when he returns the info can be downloaded and displayed on a PC.
( maybe uploaded to Google Maps )

But if it were to transmit some how ( RF maybe ) so the animal can be located that would be a plus.
( Range of about 2 acres )

I figure by now there must be some cheap GPS modules that could be used with maybe a simple project box and a 9v?
DarkClover

Thank You
-Given: 37
-Receive: 60

Still alive...

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 01:08:30 13:08 »

You can buy everything but DIY is more fun Wink
For your luck the SiRF star III modules have become quite cheap these days. So you can use one of those with SPI or RS232 interface (have a look at your favourite semiconductor and electronics shop) as a base. All you need now is microcontroller and some memory. I would suggest an a SD card with FAT filesystem.

There are plenty of projects like this out the net. So it shouldn't be a problem to find hardware and software.
Otherwise you can adapt a project and just change it to what you need.

For transmitting the data there is an easy way. Since Android mobilephones (yeah I'm a fan of it) or iPhones are pretty cheap you can use them for sending the current position. This can be made per SMS (for long distances), WiFi or Bluetooth (for short distances). The second ones are able to livetrack your do so you can track him.
You also can use JUST the phone for complete work (GPS tracking, sending data, and so on).
However there is also another way. You can buy a GSM-module and pu it together with your microcontroller.

Last but no least, here is a project:
http://www.opengpstracker.org/

Not thinking means to believe what others say!
TRY & ERROR... the fundamental principle our existence is based on
solutions

Thank You
-Given: 655
-Receive: 900

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 01:32:01 13:32 »

I'm looking to buy/build a simple GPS Dog Collar.

All it NEEDS to do it track where the dog goes, so when he returns the info can be downloaded and displayed on a PC.
( maybe uploaded to Google Maps )

But if it were to transmit some how ( RF maybe ) so the animal can be located that would be a plus.
( Range of about 2 acres )
For two acres, have you thought about looking out the window? Seriously....

The reason I actually am not being a smartass is that you did not specify the accuracy or what you are actually doing with it (in other words, I think you did not tell us the whole story and there's a "secret" part to this collar application)...I get the feeling you're going to be very disappointed in the resolution you're going to be getting on this one. Battery life and satellite visibility may also be serious issues (dog under porch syndrome) with this approach.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 01:41:20 13:41 by solutions » Logged
lou

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 4

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 02:29:30 14:29 »

Try this site, it might help you      http://www.buxtronix.net/2011/10/gps-feline-tracker.html
jcsntoll

Thank You
-Given: 24

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 09:20:10 21:20 »

For two acres, have you thought about looking out the window? Seriously....

The reason I actually am not being a smartass is that you did not specify the accuracy or what you are actually doing with it (in other words, I think you did not tell us the whole story and there's a "secret" part to this collar application)...I get the feeling you're going to be very disappointed in the resolution you're going to be getting on this one. Battery life and satellite visibility may also be serious issues (dog under porch syndrome) with this approach.

As I said, the transmitting is just a bonus.. we live on a large farm, but it's not like just looking over on open field.

as for Under the Porch.. that's fine too... as I stated, the first use was to just data log where the dog had been when he returns.. not really to search out and find him.
So the data would show, him going under the porch or into someplace loosing signal, but then the signal would return once he exited somewhere and returned to the house.

Posted on: November 13, 2011, 09:59:58 21:59 - Automerged

Try this site, it might help you      http://www.buxtronix.net/2011/10/gps-feline-tracker.html
This looks perfect!  Thanks..
Nice size and does exactly what I want.
solutions

Thank You

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 09:49:38 09:49 »

pickit2

Thank You
-Given: 823
-Receive: 4194

There is no evidence that I muted SoNsIvRi

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 12:42:20 12:42 »

As I said, the transmitting is just a bonus.. we live on a large farm, but it's not like just looking over on open field.
Just a thought, we have a few members here, that warning or even a mute don't work. they say punishment here is too strict,
maybe as punishment, we get them walk your dog with a tracker and 38Amp battery straped to them.

Note: I stoped Muteing bad members OK I now put thier account in sleep mode
solutions

Thank You

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 01:20:38 13:20 »

....or, if you're going to go to all the trouble of building some complicated electronics, just shoot the dog and program its replacement to go where and when you want.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5349770802105160028

pickit2 - I am not going to ask where you are proposing to attach the cables for that battery.  As strict as things are here, I think checking into Guantanamo would be more relaxing  Tongue
DarkClover

Thank You

Still alive...

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 11:13:29 23:13 »

....or, if you're going to go to all the trouble of building some complicated electronics, just shoot the dog and program its replacement to go where and when you want.

Well for my taste A.M.E.E from Red Planet would make a really cool pet to start with.
In first version all the weapons aren't really necessary but they are a must have to defend your home from burglars later Wink

The basic mind of a dog can be recreated out of a cluster of about 1000 Altera Stratix V or so.
I'm sure the guys from the Sonsivti AI-board will help you out with this part.
And don't forget the voice commands! Wink

Anyone here wanna start AMEE-v1.0 Huh

...nice pet...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 11:27:01 23:27 by DarkClover » Logged

popoyboys

Thank You
-Given: 12

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 12:42:07 00:42 »

AMEE-v1.0 sounds good to me...
i'd like to be a part of it...
DarkClover

Thank You

Still alive...

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 07:46:21 19:46 »

If we can gather enough people we can start with the project. Well it really sounds very intetesting.

But this robot discussion here is off topic. It should be transferred to another subboard. Or start a new one.

DarkClover

Thank You

Still alive...

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 05:14:18 17:14 »

@jcsntoll

Did your dog get a GPS collar yet? Or are you in construction stage?
I thought a little bit about it and this was the solution of my problem with the neighbours dog.
I don't really know whose dog it is but that dog always shit into my garden so next time I'll put a small GPS device on it to track him. Luckily he has a big collar and long fur so nobody will see it till the dog comes back to me.

...I'll tell you later how it worked.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...