The Godfather talking
You may crack software. How about me?
Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:11:42 18:11

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Project: Electronic Mosquito Repeller [Need Help]  (Read 8328 times)
sndey85
Inactive

Thank You
-Given: 6
-Receive: 0

« on: December 20, 2010, 08:52:23 20:52 »

Hello! I want a mosquito repellent circuit that really works. I have tried all the circuits in Google, but none of them are able to repel the mosquitoes  Sad

Can anybody help me with a perfect circuit that works / repels the mosquitoes? I have tried all the circuits [almost all] mentioned that the circuit oscillates at 10KHz but the female mosquitoes actually are repelled by frequency above 30KHz which is ultrasonic and we don't hear the sound. All the circuits found on net are audible indicating that they are between 30 to 30000 cycles which is audible & does not repel mosquitoes at all.

Please help me.
Parmin

Thank You
-Given: 494
-Receive: 133

Very Wise (and grouchy) Old Man

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 10:08:13 22:08 »

Well, the theoretical operation of electronics mosquito repellent is to mimic the sound emitted by male mosquito.

The idea is that the female needs energy (and need to feed blood) to reproduce thus
 they would not spend time further copulating once they got their eggs fertilized.
So, they would tend to avoid all those male that want to get their rocks off (sounds familiar?) ..

Therefore, if you want to repel (biting female) mosquitoes your need to emulate the sound of horny male mosquito.
Unless of course if the female has not have their eggs fertilized yet and thus horny,
then they would swarm to the sound and make the whole exercise pointless..

Just get some Baygon
Cheesy

If I have said something that offends you, please let me know, so I can say it again later.
DarkClover

Thank You
-Given: 37
-Receive: 60

Still alive...

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 11:53:50 23:53 »

Well if you want to repell the female mosquitos and you know at which frequency the circuit
should work. Why no prototype with a NE555 and a little piezoelectric buzzer.

With a cheap microphone and your pc, or if you have an oscilloscope, you can set some
frequencies and test them.
Here is a simple circuit but change the values of the resistors and capacitors to fit your
range of frequency.

Here is a online calculator for the 555: http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/NE555-Calculator.phtml

Well another method i have found on the net is to kill them with a laser.
But it's extremely complicated and you'll need some special programming
experience on image processing and a really fast microcontroller.

It uses some high speed cameras in cooperation with infrared LED's to detect the mosquitos.
Through the shape and size of the detected object, the device can distinguish between mosquitos
and other insect which should'nt be harmed. There is also the possibility to differ between male and
female mosquitos through the frequency of their humming.
If the optical part did detect a proper object and recognizes it as a mosquito it will be shot with a
small high power laser and burned down.

Here are some informations and two videos:

Well I wanted to build a similar system but I can't get any camera parts
and optics which are needed for this.

However. I hope my post helped you a little bit. If still nothing does work,
use some anti--mosquito-spray and have a shower after.
Or I'll send you some of my blood because it seems that mosquitos don't
like it. They never bite me even if I stans in the middle of the pond, surrounded
by billions of them.

Not thinking means to believe what others say!
TRY & ERROR... the fundamental principle our existence is based on
scrts

Thank You
-Given: 12
-Receive: 11

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 03:18:24 03:18 »

All of the tests I've made generating frequencies of sine wave resulted in no action to mosquitos... Totally nothing happens. I've tried many frequencies found on the internet. Seems like that device with specific smell tapes are way much effective.
free

Thank You
-Given: 71
-Receive: 13

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 08:27:27 08:27 »

I had some experiences with DIY mosquito repeller and commercial product of repeller.
Just waste the money.
Mosquito spray is more effective than repeller.

Some dream to escape reality, some to change it forever.
- Soichiro Honda -
odsk

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 12

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 03:52:29 03:52 »

I tried the 555 and peizo years ago (15-20 years ago) and found that they are not soo effective. When I did some researchs back then, they mentioned that the frequcny should be swinging btween some ultrasonic frequncies as setting the device to one frequncy will not be effective after the mosquitos get used to it.
solutions

Thank You
-Given: 656
-Receive: 903

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 12:17:16 00:17 »

I tried the 555 and peizo years ago (15-20 years ago) and found that they are not soo effective. When I did some researchs back then, they mentioned that the frequcny should be swinging btween some ultrasonic frequncies as setting the device to one frequncy will not be effective after the mosquitos get used to it.

I have an app for the iPhone that lets you choose between swing and steady frequencies.  Totally useless against Asian mosquitoes, which are the ones to worry about.  Had one land a half meter from the phone and just sat there.

The laser works, but it needs a background screen, which again is useless when you are outside.  Is there anything else, other than the ultrasound, that seems to actually work vs claiming to do so?  Any papers you guys have come across? I almost died from a mosquito bite last year, so it has become personal to wipe them ALL out.
Magnox

Thank You
-Given: 976
-Receive: 279

Oink!

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 09:06:15 21:06 »

From what I've read, mossies aren't in the least bit affected by ultrasaound. It's just marketing rubbish to sell useless devices. Have a look here: http://www.mosquito.org/mosquito-information/faq.aspx#19

I truly wish they were! For some reason, they really like me. My wife and I sit in the garden and she won't get a single bite, while I will be covered. I like the sound of that laser zapper... maybe a more powerful CO2 laser with a diverging lens instead of accurate tracking...
pushycat

Thank You
-Given: 210
-Receive: 1446

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 01:27:13 13:27 »

The mosquitoes gradually get accustomed to the ultrasonic waves/ sound and thus these devices usually are not effective in the long run. I found an intresting gadget on the web where the mosquitoes are attracted with a scent released by a cartridge inside the equipment and when they are nearby, a powerful Fan inside attracts the mosquito's in and are thus killed. Something intresting at http://www.megacatch.com/
oldvan

Thank You
-Given: 154
-Receive: 107

If the van is a Rockin'...

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 06:40:46 06:40 »

A friend of mine has tried numerous mosquito-repelling electronic gadgets with no luck.
The only effective use of ultrasonics against mosquitoes I've encountered is a bat.

I'm fortunate to have a few around every summer as I live on the hill above a large swamp.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he will sit around in a boat drinking beer all day.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...