Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:20:13 10:20

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Any way to access sites using cookies?  (Read 17796 times)
electrojit

Thank You
-Given: 233
-Receive: 285

« on: May 08, 2013, 03:25:32 15:25 »

Hello all,

First of all sorry - I had no idea where to put this post...

I was just looking at the tricks that many sharing websites can be used as premium account with cookies shared by others.
And was thinking if something similar can be done for websites like IEEE/Science Direct etc?

I tried searching for few min on google but nothing returned (I am still searching)... but if someone have any idea on that ... can please share it here?

What my line of thoughts were - to use the cookies from university at home... but I am not aware how all this stuff works... some help or hint will be appreciated...

Regards and Thanks,
electrojit
mike_au

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 5

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 02:02:11 02:02 »

First of all, are you sure the university machines are authenticated using cookies?

I know that when I went to uni several of the journals and reference sites we had access to identified us using some sort of transparent process, possibly source IP. Any computer connected to the campus network could access the sites without authenticating, if you use the same system then there wouldn't be any way to duplicate that access elsewhere.
solutions

Thank You
-Given: 655
-Receive: 900

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 07:10:59 07:10 »

I think it would be a lot easier to just set up a machine on campus as a proxy, like this guy did:

"The indictment (.pdf)[ http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/threatlevel/2011/07/swartz_indictment.pdf ] accuses Swartz of repeatedly spoofing the MAC address — an identifier that is usually static — of his computer after MIT blocked his computer based on that number. Swartz also allegedly snuck an Acer laptop bought just for the downloading into a closet at MIT in order to get a persistent connection to the network."

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/07/swartz-arrest/

Seems the USA feds have no sense of humor over someone downloading public domain papers from behind a paywall.

Swartz "killed himself" a few months later...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:13:49 07:13 by solutions » Logged
mike_au

Thank You

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 07:56:42 07:56 »

Yeah, assuming that it is set up like mine was that would be a solution, but if it does in fact use cookies then that won't work.

Really without knowing more about the setup it is hard to comment.
electrojit

Thank You
-Given: 233
-Receive: 285

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 06:10:23 18:10 »

Hi Mike,

I am not sure what exactly they do... but guess you are ri8... I am not allowed to take laptop to our campus... Sad so can not validate it... but it seems more logical.

@Solutions: That is good idea... don't know if my country had any gr8 cyber laws and if IEEE or other such organization can influence the laws here... let me check if I can do it or not...

Regards,
electrojit
nordiceng

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 11

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 06:54:07 18:54 »

if you are seeking for how to use proxy to get access into university databases
• Select Tools and then Internet Options.
• Click the Connections tab.
• If you are using a LAN, click the LAN Settings button. If you are using a Dial-up or Virtual Private Network connection, select the necessary connection and click the Settings button.
• Make sure the 'automatically detect proxy settings' and 'use a proxy automatic configuration script' options are not checked.
• In the 'Proxy Server' area, select the Use a proxy server for this connection or Use a proxy server for your LAN check box.
• In the Address box, enter the address of the proxy server. In the Port box, type the port number. If need to use different proxies for different services, such as HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP, click the Advanced button, and then enter the individual proxy server addresses to use.
• If necessary, enable the 'Bypass proxy server for local addresses' option.
• Click OK.
mike_au

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 10:43:18 10:43 »

He isn't talking about setting up a PC to use an existing proxy, he is talking about installing a proxy server on a PC within the university and then connecting to the proxy from outside the campus so that the traffic appears to be coming from the university.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...