The Godfather talking
Share your stuff or I will make you regret it.
Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:25:55 21:25

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: why DsPic  (Read 13872 times)
matelda
« on: July 03, 2008, 07:19:43 19:19 »

hi friends :
i read a lot about the DsPic , but i want to know when we can go to use normal PIC and when we have to Go to use DsPic .
best regrads to all
Cain

Thank You
-Given: 165
-Receive: 102

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 10:45:24 10:45 »

Sorry but your question make littles sense, can you please clarify?

cooperharris

Thank You
-Given: 72
-Receive: 22

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 12:33:29 12:33 »

hell matelda,that is a important question, and  maybe some of  us  have never thought about  it, I did make my research at the net and I found that you shoulded use dspic for  more complex project when it has involved "digital signal processing" ·DSP" that`s why he name, so if your project is simple do not worry yet  for dspic, just  keep learning  pic and when you feel you  know enough go ahead and  start working  with dspic meanwhile  I keep my self  still on PIc ,I hope this can help you,regards,

Cooperharris.
matelda
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 07:50:43 07:50 »

Dear Cooperharris :
thankx Very much for ur answer ,  but my question is that w is the applications we can do as Digital signal proccessing .
mean what is the project we can build as digital signal proccessing .
best regards to all friends
meax98

Thank You
-Given: 1376
-Receive: 52

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 08:53:06 08:53 »

If you take a look at datasheet of PIC and dsPIC family, you will immediately know when to use one. If your application requires more processing power, more RAM, HW features, if you have complex peripheral and communication interfaces, extensive use of interrupts and other real-time processing, you will use dsPIC. Sometimes the same task can be solved either with PIC or with dsPIC, but PIC will do that with higher uC utilization, while it will be easy task for more robust dsPIC.

If you can realize all your ideas with PIC and everything is working as expected, than you don't need dsPIC.
matelda
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 04:58:27 16:58 »

Dear meax " thankx for ur answer ,,,,, the point is that in DSP there is operations like digital filter design ( which is not existed in normal PICs) ( IIR   FIR )..... til now i dont know where is have to use digital filter... what is the applications of the digital filters ,
best regards to all
meax98

Thank You
-Given: 1376
-Receive: 52

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 07:13:34 19:13 »

These are two of my projects where dsPIC were used (a lot of math and calculation):

- video content analysis for vehicle registration plate recognition (SW in dsPIC is taking RAW data from camera module and analyzing content)
- vibration analysis of boat / ship board - determination of boat's collision with sand coast, lumber in water, big fish or another obstacle
8K51

Thank You
-Given: 86
-Receive: 40

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 09:05:19 21:05 »

another way to answer :

Some data processing , like digital filters, need fast "multiply-accumulate" operation.
Digital filters are good not only for audio or video signals but also for motor driving, switching  power supplies...
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiply-accumulate
With or without MAC, that is the question !!!
MAC intensive application needs DSP chips

dsPic data sheet says :

DSP Engine Features:
• Modulo and Bit-Reversed modes
• Two 40-bit wide accumulators with optional  saturation logic
• 17-bit x 17-bit single-cycle hardware fractional/integer multiplier
• Single-cycle Multiply-Accumulate (MAC) operation
• 40-stage Barrel Shifter

+Instruction set has special instructions to drive DSP engine.

Regards

Opast

Thank You
-Given: 30
-Receive: 19

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 04:56:37 04:56 »

I'm just a beginner learning Pic16 programming and after checking the difference I think DSpic is even better to use for small projects but this is just my opinion.  DSpic24 28pin cost around $3 which is almost the same price or even cheaper than PIC18 but DSpic have a lot more features, faster, more built-in hardware, real time clock and the best part you can switch pins in software at any time to adapt for your project.  I think the best way is to use PIC16 or PIC24 for more power and just skip PIC18 since it cost just as much as PIC24.
samir
 Muted

Thank You
-Given: 27
-Receive: 21

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 09:50:17 09:50 »

It's DSP men
for example if you want to implement Sensorless motro control of induction motor you have to
1)estimate induction motre model
2)compute stator current and estimate rotor current
3)then decouble direct axis current com and quadrature axix current component
4)than from above data compute slip and actual speed(wihout using speed sensor)
5)implement PI controller for speed and torque control

second example
)IIR & FIR filter design
2)pattern recognition

all this req heavy computation in real time speed + DSP feature like barrel shifter+Mac(multiply and accumulate)+FIFO(if possible circular and overhead free) for IIr and FIR implementation=fixed or floating point support.

Which yopu can not do on real time basis on PIC or any other 16 bit controller

sam
ALLPIC

Thank You
-Given: 64
-Receive: 72

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 05:51:30 17:51 »

Dspic has lot of adventages like DMA and great PWM for Motor driver. and Now DSPIC is become very cheap

Very fast in operation. And ofcource DSP nothing to say more what you think.

If any one have very time concern appliacation then DSP really helps

regards
medik

Thank You
-Given: 75
-Receive: 4

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 03:19:01 03:19 »

I programme only 16F and 18F. How can one start up with DsPIC? which Dspic chip will you recommend for a starter and easy to use compiler.
8K51

Thank You
-Given: 86
-Receive: 40

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 09:02:35 09:02 »

Circuit Cellar Microchip 16 bits Contest shows some good DsPic typical applications.
http://www.circuitcellar.com/microchip2007/

http://www.circuitcellar.com/microchip2007/winners/MT2267.html
http://www.circuitcellar.com/microchip2007/winners/DE/MT1518.html
http://www.circuitcellar.com/microchip2007/winners/DE/MT1623.html
http://www.circuitcellar.com/microchip2007/winners/DE/MT1734.html

..... and so on....
Digibob

Thank You
-Given: 71
-Receive: 2

if i go to hell,i want to go with my bench

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 03:24:49 15:24 »

Best way for First Time with Dspic,

Buy Dspicpro Board and Compiler http://www.mikroe.com/

basic,c,etc

a lot's of example

I used a DsPIC as band pass filter circuit for a wire-guided Vehicle (AGV), which travel on different frequency.

other solution for processing digital signals, there is always the Qf4A512 of Quickfilter Technology but I have not managed to make it work ....
medik

Thank You
-Given: 75
-Receive: 4

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 08:40:35 20:40 »

I have mikroC compiler but not the Dspicpro Board. Can't I have a simple DIY board to learn with as a hobbyist? I need to expand my horizon.
blacknight72

Thank You
-Given: 9
-Receive: 5

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2009, 06:18:31 06:18 »

I have mikroC compiler but not the Dspicpro Board. Can't I have a simple DIY board to learn with as a hobbyist? I need to expand my horizon.

In my opinion, you can choose any device of dsPIC for learning. You can use MAPS (http://www.microchip.com/maps) to choose an appropriate dsPIC device that you can easily buy it or have it.
I think you should start on dsPIC33F device with GP (General Purpose) devices (dsPIC33FxxxxGPxxx). Maybe devices with less pins count is the better choice, but it should support most of popular communication peripherals such as UART, SPI, I2C.

If you want more, you can choose devices that support ECAN (Enhanced CAN) or LIN, USB.

I also recommend MPLAB C30 for compiler. It's much more difficult than CCS C or other compilers. But it's really powerful and useful when you want to understand much about PIC. By using this compiler, you can control your PIC very easy.
Though challenges when use this compiler is very hard, but your knowledge can be stronger quickly.

My first PIC device is dsPIC33FJ128GP802 (actually I've code for 16F877A using CCS C serveral times, but just a litte when helping my friends). It's hard to use normal peripherals with C30 (2 days to do only UART communication - rs232 from pic to computer Sad )

When you have a dsPIC in your hand, just use its datasheet and design the PCB. You can post your circuit here for checking errors if you want Smiley

Good luck.
yasir9909

Thank You
-Given: 7
-Receive: 107

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 08:57:28 20:57 »

If you have to use DsPIC then why not use DSP processor instead of dsPIC?

A DSP processor is much more efficient in mathematical calculations and has got specially designed super harvard architecture for performing mathematically intensive DSP operations

Is there any micro-controller compatible or which could serve as alternative of dsPIC from AVR series

regards
m.yasir
MisterX

Thank You
-Given: 158
-Receive: 24

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 09:57:22 21:57 »

To learn more about DSP you should read these articles from Analog Devices.

http://www.analog.com/library/analogDialogue/archives/31-1/DSP.html

itp

Thank You
-Given: 222
-Receive: 20

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 04:15:20 04:15 »

Hi all,

Any body compared dsPIC and Texas instruments C28x series micro-controllers for power supply and motor control applications?

Itp
tAhm1D

Thank You
-Given: 103
-Receive: 180

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 06:59:26 06:59 »

hi friends :
i read a lot about the DsPic , but i want to know when we can go to use normal PIC and when we have to Go to use DsPic .
best regrads to all
Hi,
After programming the dsPIC33F series, I can tell you that it is much more enjoyable to program the dsPIC than the PICs (atleast, for me). The same longer programs designed for PIC have become shorter, thanks to enhancements in peripherals. I can tell you for basic or mid-range products, you can use both, just that if you have earned proficiency in dsPIC, you will want to use that, because of the enhancements and also ease of programming. Price for bulk procurement gives an edge to dsPIC, well, that's what's stated in the Microchip website.
You can use dsPIC wherever PIC can be used, but not PIC wherever dsPIC is used.
Take a look at the Reference Manual for dsPIC33. They are well organized and well documented.
Hope this helps. Good luck!
darwin

Thank You
-Given: 3
-Receive: 0

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 08:06:20 20:06 »

If you are trying to bridge the world between a DSP and a microcontroller I would recommend looking at Texas Insturments 28x products as well as their MSP430 products.

In my opinion their processors are much better than Analog Devices. There is a reason why they control 60% of the DSP market.
tAhm1D

Thank You
-Given: 103
-Receive: 180

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 01:57:26 13:57 »

Hey matelda,
How's your progress?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...