Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 10:49:47 10:49

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Print
Author Topic: Celebrations are Restricted (Happy New Year, Eid Mubarek, Happy Diwali...)  (Read 7727 times)
SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You
-Given: 75
-Receive: 405

« on: November 27, 2009, 12:07:13 12:07 »

I'd like to inform we are not allowing those celebrations. Rule #2 includes all celebrations. I know you feel broken when its not allowed, but its better than involving in flame wars and banned in the end. New year is apart from that rule, it is not related to any religion. So its ok to "happy new year" but not ok "merry christmas". Yeah I know, it sounds crazy. But its very stressed topic. If I were you, I'd stood away any celebration as much as I can. You can claim its not religious but others won't.

We all know you are gentle, no need to prove it by posting. Peace.

Edit: All celebrations are restricted, "Happy New Year" is included too.

Edit 2: All celebrations are allowed in Celebrations board..
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 08:14:38 20:14 by SONSiVRi » Logged

- Houston, we have a problem.
sawaak

Thank You
-Given: 90
-Receive: 13

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 05:48:47 17:48 »

well, i would say "happy new year" should also be included in the list, as you say "You can claim its not religious but others won't".

we have "chinese" new year and "muslim" new year (to a lesser extent), in my view, the general "new year" term is for christians.

so if you are not allowing the above terms, you should also INCLUDE the new year in the same category or else exclude all.

thanks
sawaak
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 05:59:33 17:59 by sawaak » Logged
SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 06:10:24 18:10 »

Don't make me list where Gregorian calendar are used. Want me to begin with your computer, this board? It doesn't my fault that Pope has found it and WORLD is using it now. It is INTERNATIONAL, it is accepted. If world was using your Chinese calendar, or Muslim calendar, it would be ok to happy their new years.

In your example you can claim why doesn't we speaking Chinese here? If we speak any language, why not other huh? It is belong to some country, they are exist, they have rights, bla bla bla. English is the most language, and Gregorian calendar is most too. We choose one center to gather, not separating from each other. If you want to separate, go on, do it. You can celebrate any new year in the worl, you can talk any language you know. But we, here, will use only ONE, INTERNATIONAL, ALL ACCEPTED.

Btw you saying "we have Muslim new year". We don't allow any religious stuff here. And I must tell you 1 January is not belong to Christianity. It is related to who found. If you found it, you could name your year as a "holly molly motha ***a bla sla mla" whatever you wanted. Do you want to break your computer because Christians (or whoever did) found it? Or why do you use Windows because Christians (still whoever) invented it?

You need to read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_calendar

sawaak

Thank You

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 06:38:30 06:38 »

there is a huge difference b/w USING something and CELEBRATING something, need to talk some more points on the topic but reading the tone of your msg (except the first para, which is logical), it is better for me to stop as the discussion is going towards flame war and there is no one except me to be banned in this case.

Btw, as far as i know, it is NOT accepted by all (e.g. Saudia Arabia).

thanks
sawaak

SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 09:08:24 09:08 »

I used "ALL" as a "majority". You are free not to celebrating it, we don't force you to celebrate. What I told is; new year is no related religion, and we chose major one, and celebrating major's new year is permitted here. As we chose English to talk. Its too basic sequence. Conflict between Christ's birthday and new year is not my fault, if you founded that calender you could make it Mohammed's birthday and everyone were celebrating it. Do not stuck in conflicts. It is just new year. If you have anger against Christians, there is no problem here; I prohibited Merry Christmas (religious). And as you agree; there are hugeeee difference between Merry Christmas and happy new year.

You won't get banned unless breaking some rules or peace of this board. You are free to defend your rights.

sawaak

Thank You

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 10:04:01 10:04 »

i wish i dont have to reply, at least in public, but replying just bcoz of "If you have anger against Christians....". i request that kindly dont misunderstand me, 

i thought to send a PM but i need to clarify that i have absolutely no anger against Christians, kindly accept my sincere apology if anybody hurts. i m in support of celebrating any kind of happy xxx whether its Christmas, Eid, Diwali, year, lunar year, chinese new year etc ,  the reason i am involved in such discussion and objections is bcoz of what happens a couple of months back on the occasion of Eid. (i would be commenting on that thread but it was locked)
at that time, there were 1 or 2 people who get angry (rest are all happy), they were told its just  a custom, but ....
no body told them that you are free to not celebrate it, or do not stuck in conflicts or if you want to divide, do so we will carry on etc... (remember that everybody was OK except 1 or 2).some of the complains were, we are here to share and talk electronics related stuff etc, dont get divided we are one etc...

i dont know is it language barrier or environment or something else that i m not able to understand your point and convey my view as i seem it. i still dont understand the similarity btw USING english as a way to talk and CELEBRATING new year. using english as a central language is our necessity, no one is divided when using english as a means of communication, but when we talk about celebrating something, thats a different matter, emotions are involved. and if you are celebrating something according to majority, then naturally people want to celebrate what appeals them most whether majority or minority , aren't we divide when celebrating only (gregorian) new year and rejecting chinese new year or lunar new year??, (i know MOST chinese and muslims also celebrate (gregorian) new year, infact i also wish (gregorian) new year to my friends and collegues, but still there are people who celebrate only their new year or every type of new year not just (gregorian) new year and those might be more important for them).

what if we dont celebrate new year, does it affect us in any way? is it a necessity to celebrate? i dont think so, but allowing to celebrate just one thing bcoz of majority and rejecting others bcoz of minority will affect us to divide. doesnt that same complaints(two months old) apply here also (electronics stuff and division etc)? many can say that was religious and political and according to rule 2, we cant allow religious and political things etc, but it is we who gives language to rules and interpret them.. it is we who invent some objections and try to fit them into rules and in turn make the rules very complex to operate.

i think i have presented my view in a more clear way now.
I know we both can carry on discussion for infinite time but in my view it is better to stop, as you have presented your point of view which i am not able to understand and i have presented my point of view that you are not able to understand.

hope everything works ok.

thanks
sawaak

pickit2

Thank You
-Given: 826
-Receive: 4207

There is no evidence that I muted SoNsIvRi

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 01:31:44 13:31 »

That is the problem members only read what they want to read. Happy Eid was locked as it was reported see the post in topic. members who post such topics as Happy xxxx, don't see it may offend others.

The problem with the report of the Happy Diwali post, was this was just after one, posted for Happy Eid, that started a flame. the original poster for happy Diwali did he know this? most likely he did not read the happy Eid post and if he did was he after a reaction from members.

I was asked by Notes5, why was Happy Eid post was allowed, He objected to that post as did others, Notes5 has left forum as a result of this.

That is why there is a rule 2, members who post such posts are warned, as to wishing everyone happy new year, that would be ok, to most people in here, but I bet a few will not be happy.

The problem is in Christian calender Christmas & New Year are in the same Holiday week.
In England, The New Year Holiday was only recognized in 1974. before that it was a normal day.

I blame Google for adding all the happy xxxx, tags to its page. last one was for St. Andrews day.

Note: I stoped Muteing bad members OK I now put thier account in sleep mode
bbarney

Thank You
-Given: 405
-Receive: 545

Uhm? where did pickit put my mute button

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 05:34:42 17:34 »

Just let me tell you how most of North America celebrate's New Years
They sit in front of the TV watching football and drinking beer , there's the Rose Bowl,Orange Bowl etc. maybe even the Toilet Bowl
Truly a Religious Experience for all
Never in my entire life have I ever thought of New Years as a Religious Holiday
to me a it's like a Birthday the worlds a year older simple as that for anyone to think otherwise is beyond me? we say the worlds birthday is jan 1 you say something else
no big deal, you have your birthday party when you want and I'll have mine jan 1 watching the Toilet Bowl

Ever wonder why Kamikaze pilot's wore helmet's ?
kayvee

Thank You
-Given: 98
-Receive: 101

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 05:48:00 17:48 »

Cool hat, bbarney.  Mind you don't loose it down the toilet bowel  Cheesy

And +1 for the new year observation.
oldvan

Thank You
-Given: 154
-Receive: 107

If the van is a Rockin'...

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 07:42:45 19:42 »

Good Afternoon from the western corner of NY State, USA.

Most people are not deeply attached to their calendar.  As I see it, “Happy New Year” is based on the day of the year in the Gregorian calendar, nothing more.  It has no religious connotations, no more than “Good Morning”, “Good Evening”, or “Have a nice day!” do.  I’ve never heard of anyone offended by any of those phrases.

“Merry Christmas” is referencing the day December 25 and its religious connotations, “Happy Hanukkah” references the Jewish eight-day festival of lights.  “Happy New Year” is referencing the transition of the calendar from December 31 to January 1.  “Happy Holidays” implies the inclusion of multiple religious holidays.

The Gregorian calendar is based on science especially astronomy; years are based on the position of the Earth around the Sun, not on religious beliefs.  The Gregorian calendar is at least as universally used as the English language.

The Islamic lunar calendar is rooted in religious beliefs, and is used predominantly for religious purposes.  Islamic lunar years are 11 to 12 days shorter than the solar year.  The Gregorian calendar is used by the vast majority of Moslems for commerce.

In most of East Asia today, the Gregorian calendar is used for day to day activities, but the Chinese calendar is still used for marking traditional East Asian holidays such as the Chinese New Year.  According to tales and legends, the beginning of Chinese New Year started with the fight against a mythical beast.

In my research I’ve failed to find any calendar system outside the Gregorian calendar which is widely used for anything other than religious purposes.  Yes, the Gregorian calendar was named after a Catholic, Pope Gregory XIII, but it is now the internationally accepted civil calendar.  Most of us no more reject the Gregorian calendar as religious than we would reject bathing because it is a religious requirement for Jews and Muslims.

Religion is an intimately personal thing.  Someone offering the blessings of their deity feels they are the most precious thing they possibly give, but the person receiving them may feel entirely different.  The same problems occur with discussions of politics and sexual preferences, both of which are frequently connected to one’s religious beliefs.  Such things are fine in their own place, but should have no welcome here. 

Sadly, there is always a small faction seeking to be offended, even over “Happy New Year!”  Some get fired up about a specific brand of processor, “Microchip rules, Motorola drools” type silliness.  Others will engage in a huge tirade about Linux being infinitely superior to Windows and Mac, etc.  Those people insistently start threads with titles like “Which programming language is best?” and “Which microcontroller is best?”  Such threads inevitably wind up locked and for good and obvious reasons.

I would prefer that everyone feels welcome here; this should be a warm safe place for anyone who wishes to share electronics and computer knowledge.  That is the best way to facilitate an open exchange of information.  I appreciate the rules which help keep it that way.

Have a nice day!!

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he will sit around in a boat drinking beer all day.
SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 09:10:52 09:10 »

but when we talk about celebrating something, thats a different matter, emotions are involved. and if you are celebrating something according to majority, then naturally people want to celebrate what appeals them most whether majority or minority , aren't we divide when celebrating only (gregorian) new year and rejecting chinese new year or lunar new year??

what if we dont celebrate new year, does it affect us in any way?

Those lines I can't reject.

Sadly, there is always a small faction seeking to be offended, even over “Happy New Year!”  Some get fired up about a specific brand of processor, “Microchip rules, Motorola drools” type silliness.  Others will engage in a huge tirade about Linux being infinitely superior to Windows and Mac, etc.

I would prefer that everyone feels welcome here; this should be a warm safe place for anyone who wishes to share electronics and computer knowledge.  That is the best way to facilitate an open exchange of information.

Do we have to celebrate it? It seems some of us not happy with "happy new year", it is not religious, but belong to "some". Is it ok to include "happy new year" in restriction list rather then discussing major-minor differences, why offending, not religious... infinite reasons. Is it better put that in a poll?

oldvan

Thank You

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 10:48:48 22:48 »

I would strongly favor a rule that says no holidays or similar to be discussed.  Seems
most correct to just leave it out, we are here for what we have in common: a love of
technology and a desire to freely share knowledge.  THAT is something to celebrate!

I would suggest that a poll on the subject is not the right way to decide this issue;
no mattter what decision some may still be offended.  Probably best this rule comes
down from The Godfather and the problem ends.

LabVIEWguru

Thank You
-Given: 270
-Receive: 593

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 06:18:19 06:18 »

I agree with OldVan - I like this site because here we are engineers and scientists with no criteria like nation, skin color or diplomas. I can appreciate someone's work for how smart they are and how well they program. I have very strong patriotic and religious beliefs, but I will argue them somewhere else. On here, let's talk about the cool new thing someone discovered or how well they solved a programming problem.
Ichan

Thank You
-Given: 312
-Receive: 392

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 06:20:04 06:20 »

I totally agree with Oldvan.

-ichan

There is Gray, not only Black or White.
SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 11:25:27 11:25 »

I hope we won't have to punish members because of that rule anymore.

Triodethom

Thank You
-Given: 709
-Receive: 54

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 02:42:37 14:42 »

May I suggest a forum for Holiday greeting . So that those who wish to can express it with out upsetting the others and disrupting other forums.  Solving the problem of those who do not read carefully the rules.
oldvan

Thank You

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 03:00:36 15:00 »

May I suggest a forum for Holiday greeting . So that those who wish to can express it
with out upsetting the others and disrupting other forums.  Solving the problem of
those who do not read carefully the rules.

Triodethom:  An excellent idea!   Roll Eyes  Those who do not read & carefully follow
the sonsivri rules would be welcomed by all here to join the holidays forum instead: 

http://www.holidaysforum.com/

Nobody here would be upset, because we wouldn't have to see it.

pickit2

Thank You

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 03:10:55 15:10 »

May I suggest a forum for Holiday greeting . So that those who wish to can express it with out upsetting the others and disrupting other forums.  Solving the problem of those who do not read carefully the rules.
This will Not Solve the problem of those who do not read the rules, That is the Problem members only read what they want to.
A poll will only start a flame war, so a Total ban on posts for any greetings would make policing posts easy to deal with.
An automatic mute for not following rules.

Strange as most members do not have any command of english, but can ask for e-books(writen in english) in the wrong place. they do not read topic sticky Saying request only in here.

SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 05:15:56 17:15 »

"Triodethom"
No celebrations, period. Rule commenced. You are late for suggestion, although I wouldn't agree it. We are not taking your holiday, we just restricted celebrating it here.

vbcoder

Thank You
-Given: 94
-Receive: 322

Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted.

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 08:38:30 20:38 »

Day by day I'm convinced that this rule is for the best of the forum. The war of civilizations won't ever end as long as we come from different cultures and hold vast variety of beliefs. Perhaps having such a rule makes this conflict reach an impasse at least in this forum and makes it focus on the key objective that this forum was made for. It is an opinion from someone who takes this forum as a place that I learn and try to be useful whenever possible.

Strange as most members do not have any command of english, but can ask for e-books(writen in english) in the wrong place. they do not read topic sticky Saying request only in here.

Since most of moderators are watching this topic, if any member uses such an expression, wouldn't be considered offensive?

I don't want to start an argument here. Only noticing that some of the moderation responses became offensive. Although it is meant here to illustrate a problem that I imagine it causes lots of trouble in post reallocation by moderators.

I'm aware I might get a warning or even a mute for posting this due to irrelevancy. Just forgive my anger that lasts for more than a week.

I wish all of you accept my apology for interrupting the topic flow

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance
Triodethom

Thank You

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2009, 09:58:22 21:58 »

"Triodethom"
No celebrations, period. Rule commenced. You are late for suggestion, although I wouldn't agree it. We are not taking your holiday, we just restricted celebrating it here.
MAY INQUIRE DID i SAY ANYTHING ABOUT TAKING MY HOLIDAY ! OLD VAN UNDERSTOOD MY POINT.  But it is your forum do as you please.
SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2009, 09:30:20 09:30 »

"Triodethom"
All capital letters are not allowed. And I bet you did on purpose to yell at me. Seems I didn't clearly understood what you meant, but why is yelling? Can you imagine if I manage this board angry like you. Btw, its not my forum, I always use "we" word. But not you we, gentle ones we.

"vbcoder"
There no anything wrong in pickit's words. He told what is happening behind the doors. We always working hard to maintain this forum, but there are users who do not even read the rules. So, his saying is "suggested idea won't solve the problems". He told his "experience". Is it offensive to you?

And yes you are walking in a thin line, its already stressed topic.

Triodethom

Thank You

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 01:53:53 13:53 »

Sorry for the yelling. It was given because of a lack of diplomatic tone to your writing for which I did not understand you. The use of the term we  was viewed as Royal we not as group of people .  So please put this to rest with my most humble regrets.
SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2009, 03:56:22 15:56 »

"Triodethom"
Its my fault too, sorry if I offended you.

tAhm1D

Thank You
-Given: 103
-Receive: 180

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2009, 04:41:20 16:41 »

Hi all,
For maintaining harmony in the Forum, we should follow the rule in toto.

For oldvan,
We here are interested regarding the feelings of our multinational Forum members who are all human beings and hope nobody is interested regarding the feelings of monkey or any other animals.Your showing the feeling of a monkey here is not understood.Hope, you will clarify for better understanding.
regards.
oldvan

Thank You

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2009, 06:15:22 18:15 »

tAhm1D:  Not the feelings of a monkey, but an emotion represented by a picture of a monkey.
"A picture is worth 1000 words" and laughter is pretty universally recognized.

Triodethom's apparently tongue-in-cheek suggestion of a forum for those still wishing to post
holidays after the rule against them lead to my humorous but useful suggestion that they take
their wishes to holidaysforum.com

The concept is:  Those who wish to MONKEY around and not follow the rules are encouraged
go elsewhere.  Perfect answer, as we will not have to see it.

A bit of humor doesn't hurt.  Who knows, soemone might even use a cute litle cartoon sloth
from "Ice Age" as his avatar.

pickit2

Thank You

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2009, 02:50:37 14:50 »

hey someone has sid as his avatar, now if only I could think who?

Ichan

Thank You
-Given: 312
-Receive: 392

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2009, 07:58:50 19:58 »

I wasn't sure if i knew what you two talking about, until i google for "sid ice age" and then Ups... I know who is it!  Cheesy

Sure, a bit of humor doesn't hurt... it makes our life a bit longer.   Smiley Cheesy Grin

-ichan

There is Gray, not only Black or White.
Manuel

Thank You
-Given: 647
-Receive: 182

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2009, 09:48:29 09:48 »

Best days of your life to you ALL!!

Manuel!

-> An Apple a Day does not Let U become a Macintosh!
oldvan

Thank You

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2009, 05:39:14 17:39 »

Quote from: SONSiVRi
All celebrations are restricted

Manuel :  Maybe it's safest to leave the comedy to the professionals?

Quote from: George Carlin
That's the trouble with "Have a nice day"; it puts all the pressure on you.
Now you've gotta go out and somehow manage to have a good time.

..."Have a nice day"...

Maybe I don't feel like having a nice day. Maybe, just maybe, I've had 63 nice days
in a row. And ... I'm ready for a crappy day. Let someone wish me a crappy day. I
never hear that. "Have a crappy day!" That's no problem at all. All you have to do
is get up some mornings.

picaboo

Thank You
-Given: 11
-Receive: 0

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2009, 09:25:21 09:25 »

OldVan,

Good one. I never read that.

Very similar to what Stienfield uses sometimes, isn't it? Had you hid the comedian's name, I would have swore it as Stienfield's line.

--Picaboo
Pages: 1 2 [All]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...