Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:21:23 09:21

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Please help me ! How to send data (or file) from PC to PC via USB port ?  (Read 4802 times)
chithanh04dt2

Thank You
-Given: 97
-Receive: 9

« on: January 03, 2008, 01:14:55 13:14 »

Hello sir. i am from Viet Nam (Do you know ?  Cheesy), so my English grammer is bad Cry
 My teacher give my group (workgroup) project transfer data from PC to PC via USB port. But we have not any book or sample this project. Do you have any project, or any idead use USB port ,please post for me.. Us project must finish at end Feb.
Thanks !

Sorry for my English.
Regard !
frasenci
Translator

Thank You
-Given: 142
-Receive: 84

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 01:39:47 13:39 »

Simplest way I know , buy an special cable there exists to do this.
It is not very cheap but will work ok.

DIY solution , arrange 2 PICS talking to each other directly , both configured as USB HID devices , one coneccted to each Pc USB port  could do the trick.

Greetings
OscarH

Thank You
-Given: 149
-Receive: 13

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 09:52:22 21:52 »

Hi,

I do have seen such a project in a customer lab. They do have had 2 PICs, each one connected to a PC with USB, and talking together using a serial interface connected to 2 lasers (that was a secured data transfert application).  I think you can drop this laser part and connect PICs together through serial connection.

If you don't have a need for speed, this gonna work, but probably very slowly compare to USB capabilities.

I do had in my PC a USB to USB interface so called 'Genelink PC to PC'. That was before I had WiFi at home and a shared drive, so I gave away since that time.

Cheers. OscarH   

All mushrooms are edible. At least once...
kolin

Thank You
-Given: 27
-Receive: 19

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 10:38:14 22:38 »

hello,
my quick 'n dirty way to accomplish:
1) get 2 USB<>RS232 cables like this
hxxp://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5859
2) get two female cannon9 connectors and wire them to do crossed cable (http://www.hardwarebook.info/ should help)
You can even get fabricated crossed serial cable. Has female on both sides
3) install usb-serial cables on both PC's and connect them together with DIY cable.
4) run hyperterminal, open the right COM port on both computers with same setting. when you type something on one, it should appear on the second. If not, check setting of terminal, cabling and so
5) with XP's 'new connection wizard', select 'Set up and advanced connection', 'connect directly to another computer'
and continue to set it up. You should have working network via "serial cable"
Maybe it would be enough for your teacher.
I had similar task last year, to set up connection between two computers via modems and PBX. I made network using windows dial-up (dial-up is used also for direct connection). This was set up in ten minutes, in remaining we were playing Quake over modem and PBX. Smiley

TomJackson69

Thank You
-Given: 26
-Receive: 63

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 12:56:07 00:56 »

Hi,

Here is a link for you to check it out. I just search in yahoo and found this cable for data transfer from PC to PC. May be this is what you need. I see the price is $19.81.

http://www.qualitycables.com/productdetails1.cfm?sku=100XUSL-101P&cats=106&catid=508%2C106%2C141

I have a question: Your project is writing software to transfer data from PC-> PC or you have to design hardware and software??? Maybe you should be more clear about what you have to do so some other member can help you.

Other solution like Kolin has posted. You can use two USB to RS232 cable and I know you can buy these for cheap in VN. The one I mention above may not ship to VN. Don't take my words, check it out your self.

Regards,

Tom

Con Rong Chau Tien
chithanh04dt2

Thank You
-Given: 97
-Receive: 9

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 03:36:58 03:36 »

Yes  TomJackson69. Cheesy My project must design software and hardware ,you can use USB to Rs232. your link http://www.qualitycables.com/productdetails1.cfm?sku=100XUSL-101P&cats=106&catid=508,106,141 is similar my project. Can you help me schematic and firmware. Smiley
My project very hard but i start learn " System Programming".
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 03:55:15 03:55 by chithanh04dt2 » Logged

Sorry for my English.
Regard !
TomJackson69

Thank You
-Given: 26
-Receive: 63

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 03:14:05 03:14 »

Hi Chi Thanh,

Sorry I was busy and did not check in for a week. As you mentioned before, that your project must turn in by the end of Feb; I don't know how good is your programming skill so, I don't know you can finish on time.

For hardware, as far as I understand, you can use your USB link cable connect PC to PC for link together.
For software, you can go to this link to download driver.

http://www.usbgear.com/Downloads.html

There are many drivers, you must pick out right one. I have not work with this cable before but, I would assume that it would not be very hard. Read the CLAIM that they said in their ad:

{
USB host to host communication
High-speed data transfer rate up to 8Mbps max
Single cable solution for data communication
Plug & Play and hot pluggable
No external power needed
Windows 95, 98, 2000, XP and MAC Support
Easy drag-n-drop file transfer
Includes print function for remote files
Low power consumption. Includes power management and remote wake-up functions
Windows Program Manager-like interface
Compliant with USB specification 1.1
}

If I have one cable I would like to do some thing to help. Try to download the right driver and use Visual Basic to write a simple program to transfer a file prom one PC to the other to see how it work.

Read one line that they claimed: "Easy drag-n-drop file transfer". I would think this will work for your project.

So, go to "usbgear.com" to find your driver. Did you get any software with your cable??? You should have some something.

Good luck,

Tom

Con Rong Chau Tien
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...