Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:35:28 23:35

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: ARM interest?  (Read 9391 times)
robban

Thank You
-Given: 34
-Receive: 38

Warrior

« on: November 16, 2008, 02:55:23 14:55 »

Hi!
I find it discouraging that so few of You find interest in the ARM architecture. I know that it's difficult to startup, but nowadays You can really getaway with the free GNU ARM compilers which are almost industry standard. Remember that ARM probably gonna phase out PIC, AVR and the rest in the future.
Stay tuned with the future and spend a few hours configuring Your choice of compiler toolchain, IDE and MCU manufacturers.

Code Warrior
microkid

Thank You
-Given: 45
-Receive: 23

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 07:22:36 07:22 »

I am now working with AVR and interested in learning a new micro.

Can you help me getting started with ARM?

It will be helpful for me and other newbies to ARM.

MicroKid

Never Never Never giveup
robban

Thank You

Warrior

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 01:45:16 01:45 »

Hi!

I suggest You download "Yagarto" (arm-elf- gcc)unless You are working with ARM Cortex-M3(not supported yet). It's GNU. It's FREE rtoolchain and and I chose "Programmer's NotePad",or "Eclipse Java-based" (also free). All compiler (arm-elf-gcc, arm-elf-as, arm-elf-gdb(ocd debugger). Don't forget to install and all else ARM compilers are available. In that case You can coose Yr. best enironment for Yr needs. Even Makefiles which You can turn into a batch-file if You feel more comfy. Remember that the makefile is only there fot translating Linux code into windows
Take a look at OLIMEX,FUTURLEC, IAR, KEIL or ROWLEY'S Wink

Revert if You find it dificult...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 11:15:49 23:15 by robban » Logged

Code Warrior
visn

Thank You
-Given: 587
-Receive: 97

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 06:28:05 06:28 »

Getting a hold of them chips ?
buying + digikey/mouser = shipping costs makes things too expensive to get started. I guess buying Futurlec development board is cheapest all round.

NXP/Philips = no success for samples , extremely popular  +  positive purchasing options from many suppliers in low volume from Digikey/mouser
Atmel = no or poor success for samples - extremely popular  + positive purchasing options from many suppliers in low volume
Freescale = arm samples not readily available
TI = very little popularity AFAIK + easy to get samples
STMicro =  very popular + flaky to get samples
Analog=  samples easy to get hold of but not as active as NXP/Atmel/STM
Luminary= ?
robban

Thank You

Warrior

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 08:47:12 20:47 »

Hi!
I suggest You buy Olimex Breadboards. It's cheap and they offer several breadboards for all that You mention.

I use Yagato(GNU) toolchain(arm-elf-gcc). A lot of people think that GNU is diffcult to setup, but You have to set the different toolchains in Yr. PATH.

As I mentioned before, I use Programmer's Notepad, but You can always use Keil IDE (found elswhere in this forum). I know it's difficult to set up the different directories, but if You ask me how do it, I'll be glad do it.
Feel free...

Posted on: November 20, 2008, 09:45:33 21:45 - Automerged

Hi!
I find it discouraging that so few of You find interest in the ARM architecture. I know that it's difficult to startup, but nowadays You can really getaway with the free GNU ARM compilers which are almost industry standard. Remember that ARM probably gonna phase out PIC, AVR and the rest in the future.
Stay tuned with the future and spend a few hours configuring Your choice of compiler toolchain, IDE and MCU manufacturers.
Smiley
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 09:02:13 21:02 by robban » Logged

Code Warrior
robban

Thank You

Warrior

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 04:13:08 16:13 »

Getting a hold of them chips ?
buying + digikey/mouser = shipping costs makes things too expensive to get started. I guess buying Futurlec development board is cheapest all round.

NXP/Philips = no success for samples , extremely popular  +  positive purchasing options from many suppliers in low volume from Digikey/mouser
Atmel = no or poor success for samples - extremely popular  + positive purchasing options from many suppliers in low volume
Freescale = arm samples not readily available
TI = very little popularity AFAIK + easy to get samples
STMicro =  very popular + flaky to get samples
Analog=  samples easy to get hold of but not as active as NXP/Atmel/STM
Luminary= ?

I just visited Futurlec, and I must say that the STM32F103 Development Board is really cheap(40 bucks). Do You think that Olimex JTAG/parallell port downloader will fit that board?

Code Warrior
digitalmg

Thank You
-Given: 136
-Receive: 109

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 12:02:22 12:02 »

I use Wiggler (Olimex JTAG/parallel)  with H-JTAG driver for STM32,in IAR and Keil and work for debugger and programing flash.
I test for compiler IAR,KEIL and Yagato(GNU) and the Keil is the best,is simple to learn,and have the best debugger,for micro the STM32 Cortex M3 is the last architecture for ARM,in this moment is the best ARM on the market.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 12:13:40 12:13 by digitalmg » Logged
robban

Thank You

Warrior

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 03:03:21 03:03 »

Hi!

Since I just got aquainted with the free Eclipse IDE and the free GNU toolchain(CygWin,WinARM, but not Yagarto(since it doesn't support Cortex-M3 MCU. I just wait for the Futurlec Cortex-M3 dev.board and a wiggler from OLIMEX and a couple of books, I'm soon good to go...

Code Warrior
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Thank You
-Given: 25
-Receive: 89

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 07:45:59 19:45 »

Hi,
after using PICs for a while I just moved to ARM (SAM9260).
I've downloaded ARM toolchain Sourcery G++ Lite for ARM (http://www.codesourcery.com/sgpp/lite/arm). I'm stuck with integration to Eclipse (I don't wanna spend $400 for Personal version when I'm just learning).
Any advice, please?

Black holes are where the God divided by zero...
Don't panic!
pjve64

Thank You
-Given: 4
-Receive: 2

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 08:31:57 20:31 »

Since you are a new user why don't you switch to KEIL. On the KEIL web site lots of info can be found and example code
Debugging within KEIL is great and it integrates into Proteus (schematics/pcb/simulation)

MKD340 the keil package
RL-ARM Version 3.40 RTOS

Both of them can be found elsewhere in this forum, just look for MDK340 and RL-ARM
Proteus also can be found elsewhere in this forum.

Just have a look
robban

Thank You

Warrior

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 02:08:59 02:08 »

Hi,
after using PICs for a while I just moved to ARM (SAM9260).
I've downloaded ARM toolchain Sourcery G++ Lite for ARM (http://www.codesourcery.com/sgpp/lite/arm). I'm stuck with integration to Eclipse (I don't wanna spend $400 for Personal version when I'm just learning).
Any advice, please?

Have You tried this attached instruction? It uses the GNU ARM toolchain, so everything is free. I guess that the SAM9260 eval.board has a serial download port and a downloading software at the SAM site, so You can inspect the innards of Yr. ARM, but for debugging purposes, You need the Wiggler. Just look at the attached .pdf instructions. I got this configuration up and running.
Good luck... Smiley
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 02:18:35 02:18 by robban » Logged

Code Warrior
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Thank You
-Given: 25
-Receive: 89

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 12:38:08 12:38 »

Thanks a 1,000,000 robban, that's exactly what I've been looking for. There is quite a lot of web pages talking about how to get or make own ARM cross-compiler toolbox, but none of them describes how to properly integrate it to an IDE. I've been using NetBeans instead of Eclipse for many years and it makes it for me even harder.
P.S.: My dev. board is OLIMEX SAM9-L9260 (http://www.olimex.com/dev/sam9-L9260.html).

To pjve64: Thanks for the advice but I want to stay with Linux which I'm familiar with.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 01:18:33 13:18 by Zaphod Beeblebrox » Logged

Black holes are where the God divided by zero...
Don't panic!
robban

Thank You

Warrior

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 03:16:00 15:16 »

Glad to be of service. I always nowadays try to use the free development tools. Not for short funds, but more and more pro's use the free dev.tools.
Did You manage to integrate the JTAG(try the OLIMEX) parport dongle interface correctly(with the Zylin plugin)?

I use a ST Cortex-M3 dev.board, and the major difference between PIC and ARM is that You have to use a startup-code in assembler just to tell the core where to put ROM,SRAM, stack size and peripheral adderesses(just like a Intel bootstrap). Some compilers will do that for You, but where's the fun then? The rest is quite straightforward.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 08:17:19 08:17 by robban » Logged

Code Warrior
cat53
Inactive

Thank You
-Given: 6
-Receive: 0

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 02:02:18 02:02 »

I'm using Keil MCB2300 (with NXP LPC2378) + GNU compiler (yagarto) + Olimex OpenOCD USB.  It's very powerful MCU.  You can use Eclipse IDE. 

Currently, yagarto GNU compiler supports Cortex-M3.

Codeman

Thank You
-Given: 31
-Receive: 20

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 10:03:42 10:03 »

What about friendly arm?

http://www.friendlyarm.net/ The mini2440 seems a very good choice at a very good price (around 130 USD).

There is also a 7'' version a little bit more expensive.

What do you think?
robban

Thank You

Warrior

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 02:10:38 14:10 »

I'm using Keil MCB2300 (with NXP LPC2378) + GNU compiler (yagarto) + Olimex OpenOCD USB.  It's very powerful MCU.  You can use Eclipse IDE.  

Currently, yagarto GNU compiler supports Cortex-M3

What is the Yagarto version no. that supports Cortex-M3?
Thanx in advance...

Code Warrior
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...