Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:58:04 16:58

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Torrent Downloads  (Read 8649 times)
SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You
-Given: 75
-Receive: 405

« on: April 04, 2009, 08:09:10 08:09 »

How about if we implement torrent addition, and our files can be downloaded from torrent network?
But don't forget this, we will be network. So it needs seeders and torrent program running on machine (24/7 maybe).
This way there won't be reported and deleted links, nor timeout and unavailable links.
Also one more benefit is you can create torrent file in a minute and you can share your whole ebook archieve by it.
You don't have to upload and wait it to finish or something, it's instantly showing in the list.
But you have to upload those files everyone asks for download, thats why we need seeders 24 hours along.
And it's heavy to maintain torrent tracker, and it might needs extra payments to hosting too.

So here is the deal; just fill out the poll, and we see the results.

You can share your ideas here.

EDIT: Seems torrent function isn't needed, it's hard to maintain and keeping it up. Everything is set back to normal.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 07:52:09 19:52 by SONSiVRi » Logged

- Houston, we have a problem.
Walkura

Thank You
-Given: 56
-Receive: 82

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 11:54:48 11:54 »

Torrents is a good idea i think .
It stops the dead links and rapidshare removing files .
Not to mention its the end of the download limits and cd's cutted up in 150 meg parts .
When we start this it might have a bit slow start before the seeds spreaded good enough to have full availability .
I have to confess that i uploaded only the ebooks i knew to have a lot of intrested people .
Gigabytes of data with rapidshare is a crime to upload .
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 02:51:55 14:51 by Walkura » Logged
Manuel

Thank You
-Given: 647
-Receive: 182

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 02:15:50 14:15 »

OneSworm?

-> An Apple a Day does not Let U become a Macintosh!
techno

Thank You
-Given: 793
-Receive: 132

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 02:51:05 14:51 »

well I was using torrent for a while but only to get small file size cause the speeds are very slow and the seeders were almost unreachable.
(for me).
FriskyFerret

Thank You
-Given: 513
-Receive: 360

Put it in, take it out.

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 03:19:29 15:19 »

Torrents reveal your IP, plain and simple. This would be a dream come true for copyright holders to directly record the IP address of seeders and downloaders. In countries where intellectual rights are enforced, you're gonna get sued! On the other hand, if you're in China, certain Asian countries or former Soviet Block countries where copyright is not respected, everything is safe and torrents sound like a good idea.

The one good thing about file hosting services is that the downloader's IP address remains concealed.

Dancing pants and leotards, that's what I'm talkin' about!
bunion

Thank You
-Given: 660
-Receive: 4122

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 03:55:28 15:55 »

about links being seen and getting deleted...

take a look at this site im a member of..(not been since joining here tho Smiley ) >>

http://bbs.betabbs.com/index.php?s=7ef045c4c15c8f228f0dbaa25127ae71&

looks innocent enough BUT if you are a member then the site looks completely different with download sections etc..

i think sonsivri should adopt this approach where files are basically hidden from public view and secretly ie...theres no mention that site is diff when a member

bythe way  site above is very fast at releasing new cracks on a daily basis

bunion
FriskyFerret

Thank You

Put it in, take it out.

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 04:00:37 16:00 »

Very sensible idea, bunion. I second the motion.

SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 05:14:23 17:14 »

We were private community almost 1 year ago. Only registered users could see our boards and topics, and only "at least 7 post" members could view the links. That wasn't work great; we had to open for registrations and bad people were inside, nobody was respecting rules because they can easily register again, nobody was involving and sharing his knowledge, then our loyal members started to leave. I dunno how these effects each other but it does. Also it was very problematic to maintain this website while open registrations, even 10 moderator won't enough. If you say "why open registrations, just stay closed and hide links", I think its very egoistic for us and too irritated for public. Also knowledge is nothing if you don't share. That's why we exist. Also do you want to show yourself before of 500 users or 5000 users?

Sonsivri.com is receiving 5500 unique visitors everyday, it's double of registered users (2900). And not every registerd users are logging in everyday. So thats why we have to keep our content public. Still I can shape our forum into semi-public, so users can hide their important links from public, and not hiding the rest. But it's not hard to spy inside of us and start reporting again, it's just takes longer time of companies, but not impossible.

The IP problem
Our hosting doesn't record any IP traffic to give copyright owners hands. You may heard thepiratebay.org (the famous torrent tracker), our site is located in their old hosting, they changed infrastructure and moved away 2 years ago. Our hosting is owned by 2 of thepiratebay.org founders.

Vague
V.I.P

Thank You
-Given: 693
-Receive: 29

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 06:11:16 18:11 »

I used to use torrents a lot but my download is 20x the speed of my upload and so it was very difficult for me to get a reasonable share ratio. I was taking more than I was giving so I gave up using it. The other concern is the IP address problem. Although your hosting does not record IP addresses, my own ISP monitors traffic and could identify uploads. I would prefer to stick with rapidshare despite the problems
ajak

Thank You
-Given: 199
-Receive: 77

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 07:22:42 19:22 »

i support this torrent download, it may be helpful to others, but it would be great if we have both. I can contribute on seeding when i am online, i am very patient in downloading torrents..
rahuljin

Thank You
-Given: 3
-Receive: 21

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 07:34:36 19:34 »

torrent as an alternative is good, but it may not be as good as it is thought. it is good for transfering big file.
do u release the torrents on the public torrent sites ? if yes, ip address problem will be there. if not, it will be very difficult to actively seeding the torrent for a long time and like other electronic torrents, seeders will disappear soon (my personal experience). this will results in torrent files with no seeders.
also, unlike movie torrents which have releasers with dedicated high speed connections for upload, the torrent files will be seeded by people who have slow and/or limited connections. they will prefer to upload the files once on a file hosting site then seeding for a long time. it is like uploading it again and again.
sorry if i am wrong and please correct me.

i will try my best to seed the torrents.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 07:36:47 19:36 by rahuljin » Logged
SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 08:52:14 20:52 »

torrent as an alternative is good, but it may not be as good as it is thought. it is good for transfering big file.
do u release the torrents on the public torrent sites ? if yes, ip address problem will be there. if not, it will be very difficult to actively seeding the torrent for a long time and like other electronic torrents, seeders will disappear soon (my personal experience). this will results in torrent files with no seeders.
also, unlike movie torrents which have releasers with dedicated high speed connections for upload, the torrent files will be seeded by people who have slow and/or limited connections. they will prefer to upload the files once on a file hosting site then seeding for a long time. it is like uploading it again and again.
sorry if i am wrong and please correct me.

i will try my best to seed the torrents.
I am having same thoughts as you say, and this option exist for that reason "In my opinion this can't work. It needs many uploaders and nobody will handle it."

omni

Thank You
-Given: 169
-Receive: 176

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 03:15:03 15:15 »

I'll be selfish here and say that I'm against torrents on Sonsivri as my ISP's traffic is being throttled and I can't even download legal stuff like Linux distros or Live CDs.

Yes, I could probably change ISPs but it wouldn't make any difference as they all use the same upstream provider who is actually throttling the traffic on their network.

As others have also pointed out, IP addresses are an issue regardless of who is hosting (even in Sweden they now have a new P2P law), and also stability of the tracker and availability of the seeds. With so many apps out there, one cannot keep seeding indefinitely...

Perhaps we should focus on using file hosting services that do not delete files often instead of solely relying on RS. And if RS is a must (for those who collect points) then add a new rule that at least one "free" mirror of the file(s) be put up at (ifile.it, zshare.net, megaupload.com...).

Also, a site-wide education campaign for all users who upload about renaming their uploads to something less conspicuous, ie. elap09.rar draws far less attention than Elektor.April.2009.rar, especially on RS. Smiley
webdog

Thank You
-Given: 29
-Receive: 3

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 04:09:06 16:09 »

With the focus on torrents and DC++ it might not the be best thing to use right now! It seems new technology is coming i.e. one swarm (as previously mentioned), but maybe RS it the "safest" for now.

I simply cannot understand why most uploaders keep naming their files as if asking for deletion! Naming it "My_summer_video" should last a lot longer Smiley and add a password and things would be much better.

Cheers
bunion

Thank You
-Given: 660
-Receive: 4122

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 06:45:22 18:45 »

Also knowledge is nothing if you don't share. That's why we exist. Also do you want to show yourself before of 500 users or 5000 users?

True, well said Smiley

bunion
FriskyFerret

Thank You

Put it in, take it out.

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 01:21:42 01:21 »

When I said the torrent user's IP will be available to copyright holders, I meant in the torrent program itself. I use uTorrent. Here's a screen grab of some peers supplying me with chunks of Watchmen, the movie. Notice that the program even resolves the host names and displays the flag of the country.

The first guy is in New Jersey, USA, the second Pennsylvania, the third Oklahoma, etc. Most of the IPs had been resolved by the uTorrent by the time I grabbed the screen shot. A few at the bottom are still unresolved IPs.

There is no practical way to hide an IP in the bit torrent protocol. I know I don't want my IP in that list as I download the next version of Proteus, Pulsonix, or Keil.

SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 08:39:25 08:39 »

So it seems torrent isn't preferable with it's anonimity and maintenance duties as well as hard to keep everyone online.

Tamilyrn
Inactive

Thank You
-Given: 7
-Receive: 5

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 10:29:07 10:29 »

If you use something like relakks (VPN tunnel) then your ISP can't throttle as it is blind to what you are doing. You'll also be anonymised in terms of IP's and will appear as being in Sweden.

Complicated way to work though - my 2cents for direct links with wierd names.
chinninitin

Thank You
-Given: 152
-Receive: 38

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 03:59:52 15:59 »

Gr8 Idea,  I was expecting same from Sonsivri, from long time.. 

Good..

Regards,
Chinni
FriskyFerret

Thank You

Put it in, take it out.

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 07:21:35 19:21 »

take a look
h**p://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/

Wink

Another person who just doesn't get it. (How many halfwits are there in the world, anyway?)

PeerGuardian blocks known IP addresses and address ranges of organizations interested in anti-piracy/copyright enforcement activities. It does not prevent the display of your IP address to other torrent users you are connected to.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...