The Godfather talking
You think I am funny guy huh?
Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:53:22 21:53

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Problem with AVR JTAGICE MKII  (Read 12939 times)
mee

Thank You
-Given: 38
-Receive: 36

« on: December 27, 2008, 04:18:41 16:18 »

Hi all,
Can somebody help me ??

The JTAGICE mkII had some troubles communicating with the target, so I allowed AVR studio to upgrade the firmware.
However, the software froze right after clicking "Yes" in the initial dialog box.

After some time I resolved to kill AVR studio. Since then I've first got a message about an ongoing firmware upgrade
after restarting the software, then another freeze right at studio start, and since then studio can't connect to JTAGICE mkII at all.

The yellow/orange LED (firmware upgrade or initialization) is always on, even after powering off and on the JTAGICE mkII.
The documented manual upgrade operation (Tools > JTAGICE mkII Upgrade...) doesn't help ("Unable to contact JTAGICE mkII").

I have tried the same procedure on a different XP SP2 computer with the same outcome. The USB driver is installed on both.

Many thanks !!

-Failure is not an option-  (Gene Kranz)
cosyne
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 05:41:34 17:41 »

JTAGICE mkII Manual Firmware Upgrade
Firmware upgrading is usually done automatically by AVR Studio, if AVR Studio detects that the Firmware distributed with AVR Studio is newer than the Firmware present in the JTAGICE mkII. Automatic upgrade is also performed when using the STK500/AVRISP/JTAGICE dialog window which is accessible through the Tools menu -> Program AVR.

However, the JTAGICE mkII can stop responding to firmware upgrading if the firmware of the JTAGICE mkII is corrupted. Corruption of the firmware can happen if the communication between the JTAGICEmkII and the PC is broken during firmware upgrading or if the firmware in the JTAGICE mkII is re-programmed with the wrong file. You will need to do a manual firmware upgrade to get it up and running again.

Following is a procedure on how to manually upgrade the JTAGICE mkII. This procedure should work in all cases:

Power off the JTAGICE mkII

Disconnect it from any target

Note that the following is only necessary if the JTAGICE mkII does not respond to a manual firmware upgrade: The JTAGICE mkII can be put into bootloader mode by linking TDI and TDO on the probe, applying Vcc and Ground on the probe and starting the ICE. This is to allow a forced upgrade in case the firmware upgrade went badly wrong. In this case, it remains in bootloader mode until such time as a firmware upgrade has completed successfully.

Power on the JTAGICE mkII

Start AVR Studio

Start the application "JTAGICE mkII Upgrade..." located in the "Tools" menu

Click the "Start Upgrading" button.

Cycle power when the upgrade completes.

Press the "Done" button.

Your JTAG ICE is now upgraded and ready for use!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...