Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:50:04 03:50

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: engraving and cuting metal using laser  (Read 5789 times)
arash_tah

Thank You
-Given: 18
-Receive: 6

« on: November 09, 2008, 06:27:33 06:27 »

Nowadays laser has alot of application one of them is engraving and cuting metal
Who are familiar with these application of laser
lets talk about it
leptro
V.I.P

Thank You
-Given: 604
-Receive: 26

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 09:32:57 09:32 »

this is really cool.
I have seen it in use during factory visit, and it was very impressive.
There was a 5 mm thick metal plate in the machine  and the cut was so precise.

The machine was like a cnc machine but bigger.

nawab

Thank You
-Given: 15
-Receive: 4

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 05:19:00 05:19 »

Well the setup is quite simple. LASER is focussed at a point and the table moves in X or Y axis under software control. Much of the motion control techniques can be read by doing Google on Galil motion. Cutting is much simpler than engraving.

In engraving LASER is focused onto a Galvo mirror assembly that scans the area to be engraved. Again the LASER has to switched on and OFF and modulated for different intensity using an RF based Q switch normaly working on 27.120mhz or 40.  xx Mhz frequency. LASER head itself could be any type NdYAG, diode, CO2 etc. The scaning assembly is something like the two mirror arrangement used in LASER disco lights.
Malcolm

Thank You
-Given: 632
-Receive: 295

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 01:07:47 13:07 »

Well the setup is quite simple. LASER is focussed at a point and the table moves in X or Y axis under software control. Much of the motion control techniques can be read by doing Google on Galil motion. Cutting is much simpler than engraving.

In engraving LASER is focused onto a Galvo mirror assembly that scans the area to be engraved. Again the LASER has to switched on and OFF and modulated for different intensity using an RF based Q switch normaly working on 27.120mhz or 40.  xx Mhz frequency. LASER head itself could be any type NdYAG, diode, CO2 etc. The scaning assembly is something like the two mirror arrangement used in LASER disco lights.

Hello Nawab,
Very interesting setup,but have you experimented with this idea?
tAhm1D

Thank You
-Given: 103
-Receive: 180

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 10:22:08 10:22 »

Hi all,
Now a days PCB can be made with Laser Machine and engraving,drilling etc.all are done by the Machine and hence making PCB becomes easier. Do you have any idea regarding this type of machine for small scale manufacturing purpose?
tAhm1D

Thank You
-Given: 103
-Receive: 180

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 10:16:35 10:16 »

Hi Nawab and Malcolm,

From your writings, I can guess that you 2 are acquainted with the Laser engraving and Drilling Machine for  manufacturing of  PCB. I want to know the particulars of this type of machine for small scale manufacturing of PCB. If possible on your part, please provide me the information regarding that type of Laser Machine. I will be grateful.

micropar

Thank You
-Given: 44
-Receive: 13

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 12:10:41 12:10 »

Hi all,

Thanks for very interesting post!

I regularly use Laser cutting from developing prototypes. What I have learned is that machine requires constant flow of oxygen gas while cutting at laser tip. I think there is some kind of servo involved not only with X and Y axis but also laser emission.

From my faint memory, there was one post about big projects collection book appeared in Sonsivri 14 to 18 months back which had similar X-Y laser cutting table project. Unfortunately, I was not having fast broadband connection that time and hence could not able to download that book's file of 50 MB or so.

With best regards,
--micropar--
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 12:14:08 12:14 by micropar » Logged
cerebronico

Thank You
-Given: 262
-Receive: 27

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 04:57:17 16:57 »

Hi all,

Have you check this?

http://www.instructables.com/tag/?q=laser+cutting&limit%3Atype%3Aid=on&type%3Aid=on&type%3Auser=on&type%3Acomment=on&type%3Agroup=on&type%3AforumTopic=on&type%3AforumTopic=on&sort=none
arash_tah

Thank You
-Given: 18
-Receive: 6

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 06:33:12 06:33 »

Affer a way for Writing on a metal object using laser for example writing on a spoon. How to generate laser beam? and focus it on a desired point
nawab

Thank You
-Given: 15
-Receive: 4

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 08:13:01 08:13 »

Hi!

For writing on spoon a rough estimate is you will require about 20W  diode LASER. The Galvo head type of unit will be a costly affair. I suggest for such an application go in for Gold hallmarking type units, these should cost around $20,000.

BTW my experience has been with  NdYAG based diamond cutting LASER. Mainly their motion control and Q switch modulation.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...