The Godfather talking
This is god damn my place! Capisci?
Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:56:10 18:56

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Whats the best AVR toolchain  (Read 6942 times)
jube

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 43

« on: October 25, 2008, 01:54:09 01:54 »

hi a bit new to the AVR line, was wandering whats the best/ most industry standard AVR compiler/IDE ( c/c++ ) to hunt down? Save me downloading them all and comparing which had to do with ARM and PIC
microkid

Thank You
-Given: 45
-Receive: 23

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 02:34:15 02:34 »

AVR Studio

Never Never Never giveup
smartcat004

Thank You
-Given: 6
-Receive: 27

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 08:50:02 08:50 »

Hi.

I have used ICC, Codevision and IAR.
I like 3 all of them for the different things they offer ...

ICC and Codevision:

Likes : Both have a code generator to help you setup your peripherals and interupt service routines real quick.
Personally I feel ICC has a better code generator. But codevision seems to give me a more compact code so far. Probably it's my settings which I miss. Nevertheless, both compilers worked great in all my projects. 

Dislikes : Although both compilers can do ISP programming directly but not debugging. You need to debug your code thru AVRStudio.

IAR :

Likes : is a bigger package and you can write in C++ too. Lots of options and industrial standards checks like Misra conformance. With it's CSPY debugger, it integrates to JTAGICE, Dragon and AVRISP readily without having to launch the AVR Studio. It also has profilers, code coverage tools and also Kernel Aware monitors for UCOS RTOS.... Very nice features

Dislikes : Could not think of any now.... other than having to understand the tool chain takes a while. And ... there is no code generator for peripheral initialization.
LEAS

Thank You
-Given: 9
-Receive: 19

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 10:28:26 10:28 »

Codevision makes no good code. I not test IAR, but test many other's. WinAVR-GCC is free С compiler(as a plugin uses in AVRStudio) has disadvatage:"You need to debug your code thru AVRStudio." As IDE->eclipse, CODE::BLOCKS, KAMAVR(stopped in develop).
AtmanAVR-chinese IDE based on WinAVR-GCC has debugger like AVRStudio. 100$ or trial 30 days. Crossworks by rowley has debugger, but i don't understood-it can make ELF/COFF to use with Proteus or not ? VMLab-like small Proteus. V3.14 is free. Include oscill,keyboard and many others. Interface with WinAVR-GCC, CodeVision. I use it with GCC&assembler. May be some else exists ? I see TKStudio-chinese product, but i don't understend hieroglyphic.

jube

Thank You
-Receive: 43

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 05:06:32 17:06 »

i understand the GCC toolchain well since use the MIPPS version in psp programming, as far as i understand GCC does not support avr as a naitive target, or am i wrong ? i assume WinAVR is a GCC patch ?
Anyway am assuming a comercial compiler will be better???
pak

Thank You
-Receive: 17

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 01:29:57 13:29 »

I recommend IAR and CodeVision.

CodeVision:   It's easier to use and a lot of examples and configuration wizard for beginner. For large project, IAR should be the right choice, I think.

Anyway: AVR architecture is the best over other 8-bit microcontrollers, because of unique technology such as
1. Number of system clock cycle : 1
2. Wide operation voltage range without using built-in regulator: (1.8 - 5) V
3. Easy flash programming via LPT port
and so on.....

pak

Cheesy Happy Microcontroller Pprogramming  Cheesy
LEAS

Thank You
-Given: 9
-Receive: 19

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 08:25:43 20:25 »

AVR architecture is AVR architecture. IAR want money for product. GCC is free. AVRStudio is free too. GCC is plugin for AVRStudio. Need the choice. Or search the crack, or use freeware. Or interlive.
wellnerson1

Thank You
-Given: 33
-Receive: 152

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 10:26:43 10:26 »

Hai Everybody,

As far as my recent experience concerned, please beware about the results produced by AVR Studio in regard to timer simulation. Its gives frustrated results for me but in practise i got the result what i expected. Be cautious in your endeavours friends.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...