The Godfather talking
You can run, but you can't hide.
Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:04:08 20:04

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Microwave meter  (Read 4938 times)
bugmike25

Thank You
-Given: 15
-Receive: 13

« on: July 11, 2008, 04:00:25 16:00 »

Hi im looking for a schematic of a system that is capable of detecting microwaves from a microwave oven.  I want to determine if the oven is safe or if it is leaking.  Please post any information you might have.
Alienbeing

Thank You
-Given: 68
-Receive: 45

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 08:18:37 20:18 »

I think these devices can be purchased rather cheaply. I remember radioShack (tandy corporation) use to sell one. Also MCM electronics had them also. I usually myself don't try to build something that can be bought for less, then what it would cost me in parts and labor time to build my own. Maybe would be OK if I already had the parts but I don't carry a large inventory of electroinc parts.

Alienbeing
bugmike25

Thank You

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 05:27:55 17:27 »

I can't seem to find it on their site, but i wanted to build one myself from scratch.
yoda

Thank You
-Given: 706
-Receive: 18

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 03:43:10 15:43 »

Hoi,  Inside such a cheap meter (5 $ or so) sits only a ua meter for display (high-medium-low or only a red and a green zone) a single diode and a small 1/10 watt resistor, all connected in series.
Simpler is not possible I think. Probably the wiring itself functions as a kind of antenna to pick up excessive field-strenght, it is not sensitive at all.
I tried the unit by putting it inside an mw-oven and watched the meter through the frontglass.
I saw the needle moving but after 1 or 2 seconds the circuit burned out. The resistor was blown-up. So it appears to work somehow.
I repaired the resistor and did'nt care more about it. Still don't know if is was the wiring or the coil from the meter that generated a current. Possibly the resistor burn'd out of a too high voltage, but the meter only moved up ca. 20%.
All this happened inside the (800W) oven, I guess it wouldn't measure much outside (a leaking case).

Try something, a diode and resistor inside and the meter itself outside an oven.

Good luck, yoda.
Parmin

Thank You
-Given: 494
-Receive: 133

Very Wise (and grouchy) Old Man

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 12:11:47 00:11 »

I tried the unit by putting it inside an mw-oven and watched the meter through the frontglass.
I saw the needle moving but after 1 or 2 seconds the circuit burned out. The resistor was blown-up. So it appears to work somehow.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA   Grin Grin Grin Grin

OT-
That reminds me.. when I was a little boy, my friend were told by his dad to buy a box of matches, "and make sure they are good matches" were the concise instruction.  So he lit every one of the matches in the box to make sure they works..
Daymn, but that was a long long time ago..

If I have said something that offends you, please let me know, so I can say it again later.
wen

Thank You
-Given: 1797
-Receive: 516

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 02:15:35 14:15 »

hi bugmike25 ,
If you want to do it by yourself,you must have some RF instrument to tune your board,
because microwave oven works at 2.4Ghz.....and more...
mylogin

Thank You
-Given: 9
-Receive: 16

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 03:13:48 15:13 »

Here is the excellent product:  the RF Electrosmog field strength power meter ED6 
only $9 in quantity.

http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/leads/4547270/High_Frequency_RF_Electrosmog_meter_power_meter.html
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 03:17:59 15:17 by mylogin » Logged
bugmike25

Thank You

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 12:51:13 12:51 »

This seems like a very interesting device.  Not sure about the interference though since it has a broad frequency spectrum and not just microwaves.  I'll inquire on the price since it is not listed.  Hope that its not too expensive.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...