Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:14:50 14:14

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: BASIC to C transition  (Read 3218 times)
sherm

Thank You
-Given: 14
-Receive: 9

« on: April 29, 2008, 02:38:23 14:38 »

I've had many years of programming Pics using PicBasic Pro. I've wanted to make the transition to C for a long time now but haven't had much success motivating myself to do so. For those of you who have moved to C from BASIC, do you have a compiler that you use that you favour over any other? Do you have any suggestions or sites that have information for people wanting to learn C?
picavr

Thank You
-Given: 263
-Receive: 100

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 11:45:49 11:45 »

i have the same problem with the c language ,and there is no solution for "our" problem,you must learn the c langage
good luck
robban

Thank You
-Given: 34
-Receive: 38

Warrior

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 09:09:07 21:09 »

If You used the Pic Basic Pro for a long time, You probably are well aware of the different registers inside the PIC. Why dont You transit to Pic Assembler instead OF C. It\s not as difficult as Intel asm and no segments and stuff.

Code Warrior
sherm

Thank You
-Given: 14
-Receive: 9

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 01:47:04 01:47 »

i have the same problem with the c language ,and there is no solution for "our" problem,you must learn the c langage
good luck

That's what I was afraid of lol  Cheesy

I have a lot of book that I've bought over the years, one of which is Myke Predko "Programming and customizing PICmicro Microcontrollers." It has lots of assembly stuff in it and some C as well, but I've found it a really hard book to read. Don't get me wrong, it's a VERY informative book, but for me it's just a really hard book to get in to. It's reads more like a reference book than a tutorial and that's what I think I need. I'll probably just have to bite the bullet and buy a dedicated book on C that is aimed more at the beginner (if I can find one.)

Posted on: May 10, 2008, 08:59:02 08:59 - Automerged

If You used the Pic Basic Pro for a long time, You probably are well aware of the different registers inside the PIC. Why dont You transit to Pic Assembler instead OF C. It\s not as difficult as Intel asm and no segments and stuff.

Yeah, I'm completely comfortable with PIC architecture, registers and memory banks etc. I've actually delved into asm already but not to the point of writing an entire project in it. I tend to intertwine the occasional asm into PicBasic code where I want absolute control over timing.

The reason I've been considering C as my 'next' language is because of the readability of high level code. I'm sure the hardcore asm community are very adept at reading the code of other people and making sense of it quickly, but from a prototyping standpoint, I can't help thinking that asm would add time to my projects where time is already a very precious commodity.

On top of that, and this may make you laugh, I've wanted to learn C for years but never motivated myself enough to. I bought several books on the language back when I was involved with the Amiga computer community, and even shelled out almost $500 for the Lattice C compiler back in the late 80's - and NEVER used it  Shocked

Some of my desire probably stems from my utter failure at following through with that desire. The rest comes from wanting do experiments with network based projects and the ENC28J60 samples I've had sitting on my workbench for the last couple of years  Undecided There's a lot of good sample code out there but most of what I've seen, including the TCP/IP stack, is written in C. So it seems now is a good time to head back to school  Wink
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...