Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:32:09 15:32

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Working with Aluminuim  (Read 6488 times)
cyber_drifter

Thank You
-Given: 167
-Receive: 32

« on: July 13, 2008, 10:07:46 22:07 »

Just started a project to build a robotic arm using Aluminium. It's OK cutting the stuff, it's just shaping it that is a bit of a task. Files soon get clogged up and a grinder is just as bad. I was think of using my woodwork router to get the shapes that I want. As anyone done this or do you know the best tools to work with Aluminium.

Cheers'
Tom
Parmin

Thank You
-Given: 494
-Receive: 133

Very Wise (and grouchy) Old Man

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 12:21:55 00:21 »

Aluminum materials gone gummy if you dont cut it aggressively. 
You cannot use grinder on them because they are too ductile for grinding abrasives.

Best way to cut them when using power saws is to use candle/bees wax on the saw as lubricant before you cut and during the cut if the cut takes more than 30 seconds all up.

On files, simple, just file some chalk just before you file aluminum.  The chalk will work as release of the filings from the teeth.  Just remember to re chalk every so often. You can use common blackboard chalk but builders chalks are better.

You can use tungsten woodwork router on aluminum but make sure you do not generate too high heat that it break the brazing of the tungsten teeth.  Be very careful when using tools not designed for what they are made for, what seems easy will became very dangerous unless you take very good care of what you are doing.

Have fun and be safe.

If I have said something that offends you, please let me know, so I can say it again later.
FriskyFerret

Thank You
-Given: 513
-Receive: 360

Put it in, take it out.

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 08:01:29 20:01 »

There are special files for aluminum that clog less. They will be stamped with the word 'ALUMINUM'. Put a very light (not dripping) coating of TapMagic Aluminum (http://www.tapmagic.com) on the file to help prevent loading. It is normal and expected to use a file brush every couple of minutes to clear the file teeth. One side of the brush has stiff hardened wire bristles and the other is like a stiff kitchen scrub brush.

Remember to hold the file correctly and to lift the file during the return, non-cutting stroke.

See the Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_(tool)

Oh, almost forgot. You are probably not using 'aluminum' but rather an alloy. Some alloys are better suited to certain machining operations than others. 6061-T6 is a particularly well known, often-used alloy of high strength. Know your materials.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 02:09:59 02:09 by FriskyFerret » Logged

Dancing pants and leotards, that's what I'm talkin' about!
cyber_drifter

Thank You

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 10:00:06 22:00 »

Thanks guys for all the excellent tips.
I have used plastic in the past, but I thought I'd make my project more robust from now on, using metal.
The ideal solution would be if I could afford one of those milling machines, but I think they are far to expensive for me to buy.

Tom
majimbu

Thank You
-Given: 6
-Receive: 5

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 12:13:43 00:13 »

hello, doing with aluminum without power tools is a hard one, but most of branded tools are quite expensive.
i suggest try to look for not branded one, its cheaper but also check for that will last long, most of my power
tools is not branded but still at its service for quite a long time and still working fine...

by the way, you can also use WD-40 or laquer thinner to clean your file...

regards 
oldvan

Thank You
-Given: 154
-Receive: 107

If the van is a Rockin'...

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 01:22:35 13:22 »

A woodworking router can be used on aluminum, as can a table saw.  
Clamp your work piece securely to a sturdy surface and wear correct safety equipment.
The chips will be flying at high speed and will be painfully hot.

Kerosene or Diesel Fuel make good cutting fluids to keep most alloys of aluminum from sticking to cutting tools.
Brush a thin coat of cutting fluid onto your workpiece before you start, and add a bit more as necessary.  A little
goes a long way.

For working aluminum, a jigsaw plus a metal-cutting blade is extremely handy.

A Sawzall with a metal-cutting blade gets a lot done quick.

An electric hand drill and a set of drill bits is a necessity.

A set of rotary rasps are incredibly handy for shaping aluminum.

A small drill press allows holes to be consistently perpendicular and takes a lot of the labor out of drilling holes.

Last year I had the good fortune to buy a Hardinge horizontal milling machine for cheap:

It needed a LOT of TLC, but now is fully functional.  Removing metal is now a lot easier for me.

The year before last I bought an old (1918) Lodge & Shipley lathe.  It was greasy and dirty, but a dozen hours' work had it shipshape.
It looks something like this:

With the economy in this terrible slump, used metalworking tools are at record low prices.  Craigslist, eBay and similar are loaded with bargains.

SAFETY GLASSES are critical whenever working with power tools, and HEARING PROTECTION is often necessary too.

There's an incredibly helpful forum for such things here:
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/

« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 01:32:00 13:32 by oldvan » Logged

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he will sit around in a boat drinking beer all day.
cyber_drifter

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 03:53:51 15:53 »

Thanks Majimbu and Oldvan. Your advice is much appreciated.

Tom
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...