Sonsivri

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:23:19 22:23

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: the "thank you" system  (Read 3406 times)
krakatoa

Thank You
-Given: 8
-Receive: 88

« on: November 18, 2007, 05:31:19 17:31 »

I've been thinking a little about how the "thank you" button added by the administrators rego and sonsivri has helped avoid meaningless posts. Its been great.

However, there is still a lot of leeching going on from this forum. People log in, copy links and "forget" to thank others for their hard work.

For this reason, I suggest that a change be made to the forum so that until a user thanks the poster for the post, the link cannot be seen. This would immediately ensure two advantages :

a) We can identify really inactive users by the ratio of thanks given to thanks taken. Since no links will be visible without giving a thanks, anyone who leeches from the forum will be in plain view of everybody. Admins may take appropriate action.

b) The poster gets her or his due. This is also important.

What say, everybody ?

Tech girls rock!
frasenci
Translator

Thank You
-Given: 142
-Receive: 84

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 09:13:20 21:13 »

I think it is a great idea.
And am shure we could generate more and more controls like this , better or not so.
However , we could easiliy traspass the " to many rules " limit. This limit I fear.

Too many examples in human life where the " excess of rules " have destroyed the possibility of further development.

I would be carefull and leave the rules generation in  hands of the owners or creators filisophy...... this we could not touch nore change.

Greetings
SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You
-Given: 75
-Receive: 405

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 12:13:32 12:13 »

I've been thinking a little about how the "thank you" button added by the administrators rego and sonsivri has helped avoid meaningless posts. Its been great.

However, there is still a lot of leeching going on from this forum. People log in, copy links and "forget" to thank others for their hard work.

For this reason, I suggest that a change be made to the forum so that until a user thanks the poster for the post, the link cannot be seen. This would immediately ensure two advantages :

a) We can identify really inactive users by the ratio of thanks given to thanks taken. Since no links will be visible without giving a thanks, anyone who leeches from the forum will be in plain view of everybody. Admins may take appropriate action.

b) The poster gets her or his due. This is also important.

What say, everybody ?

It seems solution but we can already define inactive members.
I search users by election criteria and list of deletion appearing.
In fact I am thinking ticket system to registration or users cant see links till they have at least 5 message.
I am deleting and those stupid leechs coming back again!

And mandatory to thank you for author's due point, if author's message wasnt worths to thank you?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 12:16:10 12:16 by SONSiVRi » Logged

- Houston, we have a problem.
krakatoa

Thank You
-Given: 8
-Receive: 88

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 02:57:12 14:57 »

sonsivri:

yes I agree that we can already identify the inactive members. I also agree that making it mandatory to thank the author if the post was not worth a thank you wont be a good idea.

however, the point still remains : someone registers, can view all posts and links WITHOUT posting anything, even if for a short period of time. If you ban, they change username and come back.\

Also how do we deal with people who have large number of posts but no thank yous ? does it not mean that they are not contributing ? If someone has 50+ posts and no or very few thank yous (<5) then does it not mean that person is just posting things which help only her/him and not anybody else?

So we need to have at least a mandatory number of posts before it is possible to view links, to at least make it harder for them. I say 10 posts should be this limit.

frasenci:
I agree there should not be too many rules. still we should have something more to protect the forum from leechers.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 03:03:22 15:03 by krakatoa » Logged

Tech girls rock!
SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 03:03:43 15:03 »

I will check the modification of seeing links with post count.
I am not php coder, just getting warm to it. So I cant program it by myself.
Lets hope there is modification Smiley
I will report news in here.

SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 03:20:48 15:20 »

I found this one: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=88363.0
This is works for quest access, I will change into "if post count less than 10".

bbarney

Thank You
-Given: 405
-Receive: 545

Uhm? where did pickit put my mute button

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 04:34:11 16:34 »

Just to make krakatoa's point I recently uploaded a file that I watched  and the dl to thank you ratio was 286 to 22 not very thankful around here are they?and most of the thx came from very old members very few new ones(but they contribute all the time).they don't have a problem letting you know it was deleted and could you upload again but they can't say thank you with a simple mouse click,I wish I knew a way to weed them out but like you say they just re-register and leech away.I guess that's why you get the big buck's SONSiVRi (I meant big headache Grin Grin)

Ever wonder why Kamikaze pilot's wore helmet's ?
SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 05:35:18 17:35 »

I am on it, I will disable too seeing links by inactive users.
There should be needed more moderators same time,
cause meaningless posts will be increased.
And page is refreshing when you click "thank you", It should be done by without refresh (www 2.0).
I will correct this one also.

Stefkeb

Thank You
-Given: 137
-Receive: 83

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 09:01:00 21:01 »

Hi,

Additionally, after a new registration let the new member first have to wait for for example three days after the 10th post to gain access to the links.
This allows some time for members/mods to see and report abuse of this system without having to chase for meaningless posts and at the same time it protects the work of the respected active members !

Rgds,

Stef. 
SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 11:37:08 11:37 »

Hi,

Additionally, after a new registration let the new member first have to wait for for example three days after the 10th post to gain access to the links.
This allows some time for members/mods to see and report abuse of this system without having to chase for meaningless posts and at the same time it protects the work of the respected active members !

Rgds,

Stef. 

Good point, its needed time limit also but I dunno how.
I am working around it.

SONSiVRi
Administrator

Thank You

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 04:30:54 16:30 »

First part is done,
inactive users cant see the links.

In works:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 04:47:20 16:47 by SONSiVRi » Logged

micro5
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 11:37:32 11:37 »

I agree!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
WE DONT HOST ANY ILLEGAL FILES ON THE SERVER
USE CONTACT US TO REPORT ILLEGAL FILES
ADMINISTRATORS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR USERS POSTS AND LINKS

... Copyright © 2003-2999 Sonsivri.to ...